Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New RS5 is having a 2.9 liter V6!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RS5 is having a 2.9 liter V6!

So what do you think of the new RS5? Do you think the switch to a smaller turbocharged engine will do the car justice?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like the old argument about the B8 S5 with the V-8 and the B8.5 S5 with the supercharged V6. Some preferred the V8 because of the sound and the high-end torque. Some preferred the low-end and virtually endless torque of the V6, along with the handling capabilities that come with a lighter front end. I'm sure the same opinions will be expressed here.

Best to keep an open mind. No one could have ever convinced me I would buy a car with a 4-cylinder engine, but after driving the '17 A4 and seeing how nimble and fast it is I have one. I know CAFE standards are influencing engine size, but Audi is taking smaller engines and lighter weight to a whole new level.

Last edited by dseag2; 10-25-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The V8 RS 5 is a beast, and needs to be driven like one. The power is all up high, and honestly unless you really wring its neck, it isn't all that exciting. The current 3.0T engine is the opposite of that, and in day to day driving, a lot more enjoyable for most people. It has a different sound that isn't bad at all either..
Old 10-25-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Sounds like the old argument about the B8 S5 with the V-8 and the B8.5 S5 with the supercharged V6. Some preferred the V8 because of the sound and the high-end torque. Some preferred the low-end and virtually endless torque of the V6, along with the handling capabilities that come with a lighter front end. I'm sure the same opinions will be expressed here.

Best to keep an open mind. No one could have ever convinced me I would buy a car with a 4-cylinder engine, but after driving the '17 A4 and seeing how nimble and fast it is I have one. I know CAFE standards are influencing engine size, but Audi is taking smaller engines and lighter weight to a whole new level.
I agree about keeping an open mind. I have an S3 and the power produced by that little 2.0T 4 cylinder is simply breathtaking. Seems like engine technology is getting better and I am sure Audi has us in mind, and won't disappoint us in terms of sound and power.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JPRN46
So what do you think of the new RS5? Do you think the switch to a smaller turbocharged engine will do the car justice?
I think the B8.5 RS5 will become an Audi classic with its naturally aspirated V8 engine. It will definitely feel very different. Purists may not like it. The new 2.9L V6 twin-turbo charged engine is already seeing service in the new Porsche Panamera. 440 hp and 405 lb-ft that's a lot of low-end off the line power vs the B8.5 RS5.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Naturally aspirated V8's are beloved dinosaurs...

... while I love my RS5, the handwriting is on the wall with respect to EPA fuel mileage ratings, emissions, weight, etc. The Audi V8 is hard to justify, certify or comply.

The new car will inevitably be lighter, better balanced and go like mad. The sound may disappoint, but the flexibility in power delivery and future tune-ability for the aftermarket say "small displacement and forced induction". BMW abandoned its V8 when the latest M3/M4 variant emerged. It all now seems a bit ironic that the small block Chevrolet V8, which seemed so antiquated soldiers on in sports cars such as the new Camaro and Corvette. It's relative simplicity (pushrod, buried single cam), made the weight less, center of mass low and the ability to have cylinder deactivation, different lubrication designs and seemingly endless transmission fitments have extended its life.

In the modern era of general consumer malaise about performance (other than entertainment systems), its amazing that an RS5 even exists. The current and future S5 is so good and outperforms so called "high performance" cars of just a few years back, I applaud Audi for bringing the new RS5 to market at all. However, I want the wagon (Avant)!

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 10-26-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I'm holding out for the 4.0TT S8. Next year.

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
The V8 RS 5 is a beast, and needs to be driven like one. The power is all up high, and honestly unless you really wring its neck, it isn't all that exciting. The current 3.0T engine is the opposite of that, and in day to day driving, a lot more enjoyable for most people. It has a different sound that isn't bad at all either..
Going to pull the trigger on a '16 or '17 off lease, CPO.

Only problem is I don't want to give up my E46 Dinan M3 cabrio.
Just got new snow tires last winter..sticky new tech works good three seasons!
Daughter has glommed onto 02S6 which I would sell if she ever moves out...have to think about TB and trans service or just let it go like we did with the 2K4.2A6; it had over 280K miles on it and whoever got it (just traded it in) got a working car that just needed TB and trans service based on time/mileage rather than operation.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

At this point I'm open to the new RS5, given that this is a Porsche engine. They could seal the deal by also giving it the PDK. Judging from the latest Nurburgring spy videos, the sound is also not that disappointing. It's got some nice exhaust crackling going on.

However, I will surely miss the responsive, eager to rev with linear power delivery outgoing V8. I was reminded on Monday about my dislike of turbo engines while driving a 2017 A4 loaner. I'm just not a fan of the off the line lag and non-linear power delivery. Being stuck in traffic to/from the dealer I appreciated the much improved ACC, but I was disappointed with traffic jam assist. Found it quite pointless as you have to move the steering wheel every 10-12 seconds, otherwise it disengages.

We are definitely entering a new era. RS vehicles used to be about unique engines not found anywhere else in the lineup and it was Quattro Gmbh's, now Audi Sport's, pride. I would say it's still kinda unique that they are using Porsche engines in the RS now, vs VW engines in the more mainstream models. Looks like the RS models are now slotted in between Audi and Porsche. A Porsche powertain with an Audi body. Color me intrigued.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-26-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I bet it will be very hard to feel any lag in that engine. The 4.0 TT in my S7 has very little if any lag, and if it is there it is impossible to feel.

I have drive the new 911 S (991 variant) on the track and there is absolutely no lag and if you didn't know better you wouldn't know it was a turbo engine. It also has the added benefit of massive low end torque.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
At this point I'm open to the new RS5, given that this is a Porsche engine. They could seal the deal by also giving it the PDK. Judging from the latest Nurburgring spy videos, the sound is also not that disappointing. It's got some nice exhaust crackling going on.

However, I will surely miss the responsive, eager to rev with linear power delivery outgoing V8. I was reminded on Monday about my dislike of turbo engines while driving a 2017 A4 loaner. I'm just not a fan of the off the line lag and non-linear power delivery. Being stuck in traffic to/from the dealer I appreciated the much improved ACC, but I was disappointed with traffic jam assist. Found it quite pointless as you have to move the steering wheel every 10-12 seconds, otherwise it disengages.

We are definitely entering a new era. RS vehicles used to be about unique engines not found anywhere else in the lineup and it was Quattro Gmbh's, now Audi Sport's, pride. I would say it's still kinda unique that they are using Porsche engines in the RS now, vs VW engines in the more mainstream models. Looks like the RS models are now slotted in between Audi and Porsche. A Porsche powertain with an Audi body. Color me intrigued.
In the '17 A4, it is not turbo lag, it is the DSG tranny. With that said, there is absolutely NO lag in the '17 A4 if you pull back the shift lever and put it in Sport from a standing start. Drive is another story altogether, but no lag in Sport. The trick is to have it in Sport when you launch and move to Drive when you are underway. I have 1,000 miles on mine and can vouch for that. As Donald Trump would say, "Wrong... wrong... wrong..." :-)

Last edited by dseag2; 10-26-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: New RS5 is having a 2.9 liter V6!