Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Northeast Trading Region Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northeast Trading Region Emissions?

I was searching around but couldn't find anything on this.

What exactly does the Northeast Trading Region Emissions option do to your car? Does it add equipment or reduce any horsepower as a result?

It is obviously mandatory for numerous states in the northeast.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Northeast Trading Region Emissions?

I believe that it is similar to the California Emissions option that is also on the full options list. It probably either means that: the car itself is not different, but that it comes with a special certification stating that the cars' exhaust output meets that state's/region's emissions code, or it could mean that the exhaust is a little more restricted in terms of either sound or emissions output, which I highly doubt would have any noticeable decrease in performance. Although I am not sure which one it is, I think it is probably the first, as I would think that it would be far more cost efficient for Audi to have the same exhaust for all the states in the US, instead of making different types that follow different state/regional emissions laws.

Which sucks for someone like me, who lives in NY, which is a state that I don't believe has any specific strict emissions laws, because automakers generally will make the car legal in the state with the strictest law, and not change it for the other states for cost efficiency, which, with these strict codes, as you all know, inhibits the sound of the exhaust and power of the car. Well, there are always after market exhausts that give a big middle finger to Cali emissions laws, lol.

On a related note, I heard that within a few years, all new cars sold in Cali will have to be SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) certified, which I think is the same certification that the Prius has!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi certifies its vehicles to Calif. standards...

the Northeast and California certificates are just that - no performance change.

Here in Calif., aftermarket exhausts are CARB legal as long as they are cat backs, don't mess with the converters, and are 95 db or less.

btw: NY is part of the Northeast States group, which means it conforms to Calif. standards.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:44 PM

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Thanks... but I have a question???

Thanks for the confirming info... what is the difference between a cat-back exhaust, and one that isn't? And are there any non cat-back exhausts available for the S5?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default answer...

the cat back system starts where the catalytic converter(s) end. center resonator(s) or a straight pipe is included.

a non-cat back system is usually the rear muffler only without the center resonator(s) or straight pipe.

offhand, I don't know of any non-cat back systems for the S5. some of the companies that do make cat-back systems are:

AWE
Supersprint
Milltek
MTM

I've probably left out a few...