Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Regrets on a RS5??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
My wife and I have recently owned two S5's, and S4 and now an RS5. We still have the 2014 S4 and are very enthusiastic canyon carvers. I also loved my two S5's. The cars are so different, mostly as a result of their different engine philosophies. The 3.0 supercharged motor is brilliant. Forceed induction means tremendous torque at low rpm's and a big shove right off of throttle. In tight corners, the car is just a hoot. The RS5, being naturally aspirated and tuned for an 8500 rpm redline is a bit deceptive. It is not fast off of dead stop or at low rev's. You must learn to keep the rev's up. There is very little torque (317 lb-ft), but the power curve just keeps building. You drive the two cars differently. I would have been quite happy staying with the S5 and doing and exhaust and brake upgrade. Honestly, I believe that the naturally aspirated V8 is a relic of a fading era in automotive technology - no matter how fast the piston speed is on the 4.2. It is a dying breed and i wanted to have one before they are all gone. The V8 is now absent from the R8.

Drive it and love it - store the memories and then enjoy whatever the next iteration is…

Best

Eric
I agree. We have 2014 S4 and 2015 RS5 which has the sports exhaust. Sounds much better. Wanted something different than the S4. The RS5 seats are deeper, more comfortable and fit me better. The S4 is mt so the dct in the RS5 is different as well as the adaptive steering and cruise control. Also adaptive rear spoiler which I love.

The RS5 gets much more attention. It is Misano red Pearl with red calipers and is much louder. S4 is arctic silver. Lots of A4s here in that color. So more stealthy. And easier for passengers to get in the back seat.

The V8 may be antiquated but it sure is beautiful to look at compared to the S4/S5.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2015, 06:35 PM
68l
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eric strauss
My wife and I have recently owned two S5's, and S4 and now an RS5. We still have the 2014 S4 and are very enthusiastic canyon carvers. I also loved my two S5's. The cars are so different, mostly as a result of their different engine philosophies. The 3.0 supercharged motor is brilliant. Forceed induction means tremendous torque at low rpm's and a big shove right off of throttle. In tight corners, the car is just a hoot. The RS5, being naturally aspirated and tuned for an 8500 rpm redline is a bit deceptive. It is not fast off of dead stop or at low rev's. You must learn to keep the rev's up. There is very little torque (317 lb-ft), but the power curve just keeps building. You drive the two cars differently. I would have been quite happy staying with the S5 and doing and exhaust and brake upgrade. Honestly, I believe that the naturally aspirated V8 is a relic of a fading era in automotive technology - no matter how fast the piston speed is on the 4.2. It is a dying breed and i wanted to have one before they are all gone. The V8 is now absent from the R8.

Drive it and love it - store the memories and then enjoy whatever the next iteration is…

Best

Eric
I pulled the trigger today. Ordered my '15 RS5 Daytona with black optic package and red brake calipers. Went in thinking Ibis white, luckily saw a Daytona in the showroom. Simply stunning combination of mean and classy.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 68l; 04-11-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 68l
I pulled the trigger today. Ordered my '15 RS5 Daytona with black optic package and red brake calipers. Went in thinking Ibis white, luckily saw a Daytona in the showroom. Simply stunning combination of mean and classy.
Congratulations! Your RS5 is eye candy!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:35 PM
68l
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
Congratulations! Your RS5 is eye candy!
Thank you very much, took a long time to get here, but so glad I took my time. No regrets or second guesses. I take delivery 1 September when I get home from my deployment. Wil be a long 4 months
Old 04-12-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 68l
Thank you very much, took a long time to get here, but so glad I took my time. No regrets or second guesses. I take delivery 1 September when I get home from my deployment. Wil be a long 4 months
If you would like, I'd be happy to drive your car a couple days a week, to keep the battery fully charged.
Great looking car. It should turn lots of heads.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:09 AM
68l
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sly1
If you would like, I'd be happy to drive your car a couple days a week, to keep the battery fully charged.
Great looking car. It should turn lots of heads.
Funny. My girlfriend said the same thing. thank you!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 68l
So glad I ordered Daytona Gray. Mmmm.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my 2014 S5 but if I stumbled accross a missano red RS5, I'd trade up. I happened to see this orange RS5 online today, interesting color, not my style, but that price seems very high:
2015 Audi RS 5 4.2, $90,375 - Cars.com
Old 04-15-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
I love my 2014 S5 but if I stumbled accross a missano red RS5, I'd trade up. I happened to see this orange RS5 online today, interesting color, not my style, but that price seems very high:
2015 Audi RS 5 4.2, $90,375 - Cars.com
Price seems correct. The ceramic brakes ($6000) and exclusive paint color (~$3500) will push an otherwise fully loaded RS5 into the low 90s.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Price seems correct. The ceramic brakes ($6000) and exclusive paint color (~$3500) will push an otherwise fully loaded RS5 into the low 90s.
I opted not to go for the ceramic brakes...only the front is ceramic. Have all wheels ceramic on another car. Gotta warm them up. RS5 is my winter dd and I will not track her.

Quick Reply: Regrets on a RS5??