Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Thinking about buying a 2013 RS5, thoughts based on service history?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 2013 RS5, thoughts based on service history?

The car has ~50k miles on it. Everything looks and sounds good test driving the car but I have no idea if the service records the owner gave me surface anything bad or not. Can anyone take a look?

Some people are suggesting it is strange that the brakes were replaced at 24k and now only has 5mm left. They suspect it was driven very hard. Thoughts?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7T...ew?usp=sharing
Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Nothing looks out of the ordinary as far as I can see. I had to replace my brakes at 24k miles, too. I do drive the car hard, that's what it's made for. I did 4k miles in Germany and around Europe, so a lot of high speed braking and I regularly go canyon carving. Honestly, that's what this car is meant for. I put on aftermarket rotors and pads and they seem to last a lot longer. I'm almost at 50k miles and I still have more than half of the pad life left, so looks like the aftermarket pads are gonna last at least twice as long, but I'm also not driving the car hard as often as I used to. The second 25k miles were a lot of long road trips with very little braking, so that certainly has something to do with the longer pad life.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Updated the link to remove PII

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7T...ew?usp=sharing
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothing surfaces...

... I replaced brakes at 15K and it will need to done again at 30K - but our RS5 gets an aggressive 200mile run most weekends in the canyons.

You will be entering a phase of expensive services and replacements in the next 20K miles or so. It is an opportunity to bond with a qualified independent shop and upgrade with aftermarket products (ie, brakes, suspension components, etc.). Because the motor is naturally aspirated, the working life of this engine is 150,000+ with proper care.

I change my oil every 5K using an extractor (plus, the filter points up). Its a great opportunity to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs ($25 and a present bottle/packet) for analysis. This gives an early heads up to any potential trouble (water leakage, ring failure, bearing failure, etc). The URL is offered below:

Blackstone Labs

The car can be finnicky and it will be expensive - New tires every 8K for me (that's with rotations). The car is also heavy at 4300lbs, so don't expect Porsche quick responses (even the new 911 is 1000 lbs lighter). The mileage - well an average of 12mpg is about right.

However, the RS5 is a really special car. It is a potent GT that can flail the mountains if you ask it to do so. The engine spins a delicious 8000 rpm with aplomb. We are unlikely to ever have another one, as I am ready to try a Cayman or 911, but I have loved this car.

Good luck and come to LA for a drive...

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 09-23-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll give you credit. You're doing your research before buying a car of this type.

You would better off looking at an RS with lots less miles. And CPO!!

There are plenty out there. These cars eat rotors, pads and tires for breakfast when driven anywhere close to their potential.

You had better be getting a steal of a deal on this one, given the mileage and non CPO.

Furthermore, this car had mice/rodent damage to its wire harness early on. (10-7-13) 11281K miles. That may have been repaired, but I'd like to have warranty just in case future wire ground problems arise.

That rodent damage is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the ordinary. I'd pass without a second thought.

Last edited by lmariorod; 09-23-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good catch - I missed teh rodent damage part...

That would be a warning signal to me...

WHen I lived on Cape Cod and spent lots of time at a remote cabin for my research, my 1970's era 4x4's were often home to families of rodents... they liked the warmth

Originally Posted by lmariorod
I'll give you credit. You're doing your research before buying a car of this type.

You would better off looking at an RS with lots less miles. And CPO!!

There are plenty out there. These cars eat rotors, pads and tires for breakfast when driven anywhere close to their potential.

You had better be getting a steal of a deal on this one, given the mileage and non CPO.

Furthermore, this car had mice/rodent damage to its wire harness early on. (10-7-13) 11281K miles. That may have been repaired, but I'd like to have warranty just in case future wire ground problems arise.

That rodent damage is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the ordinary. I'd pass without a second thought.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

wow an rs runs through brakes at 15k, thats some serious braking. I have a 2010 s5 and i do alot of driving. I have 75k on the car put on 60k first 3 years and i just replaced the front pads. the rear still have at least another 8k left. I do a lot of downshifting though....
Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think driving conditions are critical...

My wife drives her 2014 S4 in the canyons with passion on weekends and has some stop and go on her commutes. We did full brakes at 18K on her car. My previous S5 had brakes at about 19K.

Our much heavier A6 2.7t went nearly 40K before brakes and rotors, but more highway driving and not much sport driving at all.

Originally Posted by erionracing
wow an rs runs through brakes at 15k, thats some serious braking. I have a 2010 s5 and i do alot of driving. I have 75k on the car put on 60k first 3 years and i just replaced the front pads. the rear still have at least another 8k left. I do a lot of downshifting though....
Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RS5

Brakes are brakes. I have owned an S4 and an S4Avant. The brakes were awesome and very durable. If someone is going through an "R car's" brakes at 15,000 miles, they're working them hardcore. When you buy a Ferrari, do you drive your car to the limits? It's all about how much want to spend on maintenance and how long you want to enjoy the car.
Porsche, Audi R or S, BMW M. abusive, hard driving will cost a lot.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think the brake wear is not about "abusive" use...

... my RS5 and S4 have never been to a track, but used for long runs in the canyons on weekends with repeated use of brakes for corners. At least for the RS5, weighing more than some SUV's, the car is ponderous and has to control a lot of mass during deceleration. The brake wear has been more pronounced than in my previous BMW's, Saabs or Datsun/Nissan Z-cars. Its the cost of doing business with this car. My previous two S5's were much better daily drivers and more lithe and responsive in the rev range that most driving is done. For me, the weekends justify the added expense and hassle. Otherwise, I would stay with S5's as they are a better balance and to my eyes, more gracile and better looking. The bloated fenders of the RS5 signal its role in the food chain, but do not really improve the visual appeal.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 2013 RS5, thoughts based on service history?