Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017
View Poll Results: Keep Service Contract or Cancel it?
Keep Service Contract, You do not want an Audi w/o one!
100.00%
Are you nuts? Cancel the Service Contract and get a refund!
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

warranty or no warranty on 2010 S5 ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty or no warranty on 2010 S5 ??

OK, so 4 weeks ago I bought a 2010 S5 w/ 36k miles on it. So far it seems like a cherry- it truly is flawless like it sat in a garage all the time.

When purchasing I was nervous about buying a $36k car with no warranty so I bought a 3-year 36k mile warranty from the dealer for $3,900. I have 60-days to cancel the warranty for a full refund. It covers "any" mechanical or electrical breakdown, NOT INCLUDING (long list, these are most applicable to this car): manual trans clutch & clutch assembly, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, strut cartridge inserts, wheels/tires, cosmetic items.

So my dilemma is this: do I cancel the warranty, gambling that I do not have any major problems (it's like pre-paying for $1,300 of repairs for each of the next three years) or do I keep the warranty, hoping to take advantage of it?? (I'm leaning towards canceling it.)

What is your opinion? What would you do?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have never heard of the S5 having significant mechanical problems with so few miles. My S5 has 55000 miles on it, the only issues were the backup camera busting and the touchpad for the keyless entry on the doors also stopped working and needed replacement. These were both covered in the factory warranty. I do not know how much it would have cost me out of pocket, but I am betting at least a grand for both issues.

If I were you, I would keep the warranty if it buys you peace of mind, but I am skeptical of the integrity of a warranty that specifically lists out those parts you mentioned; perhaps those are the parts more prone to failure and they are not covered by this warranty. My 2 cents.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Wouldn't have been more cost effective to have the dealer CPO this car? That can usually be done for under $1500 and it is good until 100,000 miles.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 19hole
Wouldn't have been more cost effective to have the dealer CPO this car? That can usually be done for under $1500 and it is good until 100,000 miles.
Yes, but it was not CPO eligible because it had/has an AWE exhaust system on it.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Don't worry about cats…they're at least 8/80 EPA.

Originally Posted by MattFueh
OK, so 4 weeks ago I bought a 2010 S5 w/ 36k miles on it. So far it seems like a cherry- it truly is flawless like it sat in a garage all the time.

When purchasing I was nervous about buying a $36k car with no warranty so I bought a 3-year 36k mile warranty from the dealer for $3,900. I have 60-days to cancel the warranty for a full refund. It covers "any" mechanical or electrical breakdown, NOT INCLUDING (long list, these are most applicable to this car): manual trans clutch & clutch assembly, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, strut cartridge inserts, wheels/tires, cosmetic items.

So my dilemma is this: do I cancel the warranty, gambling that I do not have any major problems (it's like pre-paying for $1,300 of repairs for each of the next three years) or do I keep the warranty, hoping to take advantage of it?? (I'm leaning towards canceling it.)

What is your opinion? What would you do?
The transmission clutch and clutch assembly shouldn't be a problem is they're ok now, the shocks are good to 100K if they're not bad now, etc., etc. You could probably get a warranty for the wheels but I wouldn't. It's not like it's an eefing BMW with run flat tires…THOSE you get the wheel/tire warranty.

However, $4,000 seems steep. You should shop around or cancel it and see if they drop the price. $2K seems a better deal for such a young car.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Personally I don't think it's worth paying that much. I bought a CPO S5 with 27K almost 4 years ago, but didn't get the CPO warranty in order to get a $1800 discount. The car now has 59K miles on it and I only spent $200 since then on for a headlight issues that would have been covered under the CPO warranty. My experience is if you build a good relationship with your dealership, they have some goodwill $$$ that they can use to cover out of warrenty for folks who purchase an "S" line car.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Agreed, not worth it on a 2015 car.

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
What 3rd party insurer covers the warranty? Some outfits sell their policies online for far less than a dealer would charge. It's worth a look.

When I bought my 2015 S5, I bought an extended warranty from the dealer without any research first. The exact same policy was available on the internet by the same company for $1700 less! I cancelled the dealer policy after 1 week and got a full refund. I decided that extended warranties just aren't worth the money.
I'm leasing. No worries.