Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

09 4.2L S5 Front Crank Seal Charge $$

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 4.2L S5 Front Crank Seal Charge $$

Dealership wants to charge me $615 to change front crank seal.....that sound about right??
Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not easy to get to...

… do you have other service in the near future that might be added? That sounds right to me...
Old 12-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not to my knowledge....111k miles ....
Old 12-20-2016, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Pretty tight on the S5 too.

Originally Posted by pocketmaster
Dealership wants to charge me $615 to change front crank seal.....that sound about right??
If you had a timing belt (that car has timing chain IIRC) I'd say consider doing that early but since you don't....

You might want to have them put in a new voltage regulator; the brushes generally wear by 140K miles and they're spot welded pigtails. If you're going to keep the car more than another 30K miles. Alternator easy to get to with front in service position.

Check/replace Serpentine belt and idlers/tensioners if you still have the original one(s) in there.

I don't know what the service interval is for the water pump on the chain-timing 4.2 engines is, if any, but the timing belt engines had the water pump and thermostat changed out every time the timing belt was serviced. You might consider changing out the water pump if it's up front and now driven by the serpentine belt.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The belt was last changed about 40k miles ago from previous owner. Might have em check the timing chain and tensioner while they are in there.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PM:

My wife and I drive a 2004 S4 4.2L Avant. If you are privileged to have a timing chain in your S5, it is far better for you to be in control of when that component is maintained than the opposite. Your thought about having Audi service check out the timing chain and tensioner is spot on. We did not move quickly enough and a chain replacement as a repair is very expensive, indeed. Good thinking! IMHO.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, the PO issue is always a good thing to check.

The belt was last changed about 40k miles ago from previous owner. Might have em check the timing chain and tensioner while they are in there.
Even with CPO cars, or maybe especially so, the POs don't do any more than Audi-recommended service. And why not? The beauty of leasing is exactly that..you drive the car for 3 years and dump it to the dealer/Audi/lessor. There is no advantage to the lessee to take optimal or extraordinary care of the vehicle beyond audi-recommended service.

Might have the car gone over thoroughly since it seems you intend to keep it to 200k miles. OTOH, that's what I intended to do with my 02S6 at 147K miles...a minor rear ender into a Toyota Highlander however upended that intent when the insurance company totaled the car. Sooner or later you get to the point where repairing a minor collision ($6K-15K?) approaches the value of the car and you're out of luck regardless of the car you've taken with the car. At 111K things are wearing out, alternator slip ring brushes, starter motor brushes, fuel pumps (you HAVE changed the fuel filter, right? Audi has no recommended time/mileage for that puppy IIRC), charcoal canisters, various rubber/plastic bits under the hood. Heater hoses and radiator hoses are lifetime bits, but lifetime is the lifetime of the part, not the car's useful life, LOL.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some great suggestions there D.C.
I'm all for all of the pro-active preventative suggestions being offered;
- cam chain tensioners (or timing belt replacement)
- water pump
- fuel filter

I always buy used cars (last new car was 1983 lol) and I'm always ahead of scheduled/routine maintenance even though I have no idea of how long I plan to keep the car. It gives me peace of mind and if it happens to be overkill - so be it. If I do sell earlier then planned, I believe it's a great selling tool over others that may not be so diligently maintained. However, I routinely keep my cars for a fairly long time - normally 7 to 12 years. Hence the pro-active posture.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
Some great suggestions there D.C.
I'm all for all of the pro-active preventative suggestions being offered;
- cam chain tensioners (or timing belt replacement)
- water pump
- fuel filter

I always buy used cars (last new car was 1983 lol) and I'm always ahead of scheduled/routine maintenance even though I have no idea of how long I plan to keep the car. It gives me peace of mind and if it happens to be overkill - so be it. If I do sell earlier then planned, I believe it's a great selling tool over others that may not be so diligently maintained. However, I routinely keep my cars for a fairly long time - normally 7 to 12 years. Hence the pro-active posture.
i am like you in regards to keeping vehicles upwards of 10 to 12 years. Preventative maintenance is a big factor and i am OCD when it comes to my vehicles. I do have knowledge under the hood and am seriously considering tackling the job myself, but being this is my first Audi is my only drawback.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL...if you get away with $2,000 a year maintenance

i am like you in regards to keeping vehicles upwards of 10 to 12 years. Preventative maintenance is a big factor and i am OCD when it comes to my vehicles. I do have knowledge under the hood and am seriously considering tackling the job myself, but being this is my first Audi is my only drawback.
you'll be happy to keep the car 10 years. The issue as I so recently found out is the insurance/totalled value of the car.

Quick Reply: 09 4.2L S5 Front Crank Seal Charge $$