Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

09 4.2L S5 Front Crank Seal Charge $$

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If you had a timing belt (that car has timing chain IIRC) I'd say consider doing that early but since you don't....

You might want to have them put in a new voltage regulator; the brushes generally wear by 140K miles and they're spot welded pigtails. If you're going to keep the car more than another 30K miles. Alternator easy to get to with front in service position.

Check/replace Serpentine belt and idlers/tensioners if you still have the original one(s) in there.

I don't know what the service interval is for the water pump on the chain-timing 4.2 engines is, if any, but the timing belt engines had the water pump and thermostat changed out every time the timing belt was serviced. You might consider changing out the water pump if it's up front and now driven by the serpentine belt.
Might as well add in a good walnut blasting to clean off the carbon built-up behing the intake valves. Definitely worth doing if the car is going to for for another 30k miles.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yeah, interesting that carbon buildup on DI audi

Originally Posted by plat27265
Might as well add in a good walnut blasting to clean off the carbon built-up behing the intake valves. Definitely worth doing if the car is going to for for another 30k miles.
engines isn't covered by the CPO. Audi is in denial about it as well as BMW, even though BMW has specialized machines for blasting it. It's one of the reasons I'm holding off buying S8 twin turbo until/unless Audi covers carbon buildup on their direct injected engines. IMHO it's a design flaw caused by inadequate control of exhaust gas and/or positive crankcase ventilation (injection of crankcase gases including oil vapor) into the intake manifold or intake ports. A DI engine has only air going into the intake ports, so what exactly is causing the carbon buildup? Audi knows but is either unable or unwilling to cure the problem.

Right now I really don't give a dam because I have two leased B8 cars and a port-injected BMW M3...but sooner or later I'll have to change out the cars and most cars today are DI...but only BMW and Audi seem to have the carbon buildup problem.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this guy. He's nailed the issue of carbon build up for the VAG and some of the options available.
Since I plan on keeping the car for a lot of years, I'm leaning towards removing the PCV's and plumbing in a nice catch can set up.
I haven't researched the topic in depth yet and if that process would cause any sort of codes coming up which would prevent me from passing emissions test in my area.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not the codes but rather the oil contamination and shortened oil change intervals. Back in the days before PCV oil got contaminated a lot faster than after PCV was mandated. Not many emission regs resulted in benefits to the customer, but PCV was one in the sense of oil stayed serviceable longer. Another bennie was leaded gasoline, FWIW....exhaust systems lasted a LOT longer and so did spark plugs.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
I like this guy. He's nailed the issue of carbon build up for the VAG and some of the options available.
Since I plan on keeping the car for a lot of years, I'm leaning towards removing the PCV's and plumbing in a nice catch can set up.
That's exactly the problem on why DI engines have carbon buildup problems that conventional fuel injected engines don't. The fuel that used to be injected at the back of the intake valve constantly washes it. Now you have oil vapors settling on a hot intake valve with no washing occurring and over time it builds up into what he showed in his video.

I have a catch can installed on my Escalade and will put one on my next vehicle if it is a DI engine. Even in non-DI engines the valves don't get gummed up but the throttle bodies usually do which affects drivability as well.

I think a catch can would only cause a problem for passing emissions if you live in a state like CA. They don't like anything that isn't stock and sometimes don't even know what an EO is for a CA certified aftermarket part.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A catch can by itself won't solve the problem

Originally Posted by Wake96c4
That's exactly the problem on why DI engines have carbon buildup problems that conventional fuel injected engines don't. The fuel that used to be injected at the back of the intake valve constantly washes it. Now you have oil vapors settling on a hot intake valve with no washing occurring and over time it builds up into what he showed in his video.

I have a catch can installed on my Escalade and will put one on my next vehicle if it is a DI engine. Even in non-DI engines the valves don't get gummed up but the throttle bodies usually do which affects drivability as well.

I think a catch can would only cause a problem for passing emissions if you live in a state like CA. They don't like anything that isn't stock and sometimes don't even know what an EO is for a CA certified aftermarket part.
as long as the OEM PCV system is still there. You can argue that a catch can would increase the volume available for oil vapors to condense but an amount of air would still be circulated through the engine. If you disable the PCV system entirely and replace it with a catch can you are clearly violating federal and probably state emissions laws not to mention seriously decreasing the life of the oil in your engine if not the lifespan of the engine.

I'd be more likely to install a methanol/water injection system to keep intake valves (and combustion chamber!) deposits at bay. They've been around for decades and work well. BMW has even used it on one or two of their current vehicles/engines as I understand it.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY bad. I don't plan on deleting the PCV system when/if I do a catch can install. Sorry about that guys.
I wish there were viable hydrogen cleaning facilities in North America. I've seen some great things resulting from that carbon cleaning process which seems to be quite popular in the UK.