Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2015 RS5 in shop for brake Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update-2015 RS5 in shop for brake Shudder-problem solved

Brought my 2015 Audi RS5 with 6,200 miles into the dealer to check out a "shuddering" impulse during braking from higher speeds. Service advisor called me this evening to tell me the tech is going to talk with the Audi engineers in the morning to review the issue as this appears unusual for such a low mileage car. Any thoughts or similar experiences? I have seen the posts on brake pad wear at low mileage, but this seems to be a different issue. Thanks.

Last edited by Allraodgone; 03-19-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi engineers reported to service tech that there were known issues with rotors damaged in shipment to factory. Front rotors and pads replaced by Audi under warranty. No idea how many vehicles were effected.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Allraodgone
Audi engineers reported to service tech that there were known issues with rotors damaged in shipment to factory. Front rotors and pads replaced by Audi under warranty. No idea how many vehicles were effected.
Good info - did that fix your issue???
Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, braking is now 100% better. I was convinced I had early pad wear and/or warped rotors. Never would have guessed it was a factory part defect.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

it's crazy they knew they received defective parts, but choose to wait until a concerned owner like yourself takes the time out of your day to bring the car by just for them to say "oh yea we knew. Our bad."
Old 12-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, here we go again, same problem at 11,500 miles, car at dealer with reported "warped rotors"! Discussed with A of A and awaiting a response. Seems like inferior materials in the rotors, all I do is commute in stop and go traffic with occasional freeway runs but with traffic in LA the brakes are in constant use. More to follow.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just had mine replaced under warranty at 10,300...

… same issue - warped rotors. Very scary when galloping through the canyons - brakes shudder so bad they are unusable. Feels great now but has me worried how long until the next problem.

This is a real issue with the 2015 model year and the dealer (Audi Pacific) was well aware and replaced the pads and rotors without any pushback

Good Luck

Eric

PS - the RS5 is an expensive road eating animal - you need not have to defend your driving - this car is supposed to thrive on hard driving. If not - its rubbish...
Old 12-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Eric, you are spot on, the brake shudder is totally spooky and is in fact a safety issue, let alone a total disappointment for a flagship vehicle like the RS5 that is supposed to be Audi's presentation of "fine German engineering".

Spoke to the service adviser this afternoon at Pacific Audi, and A of A has agreed to replace the front pads and "warped" rotors yet again as a "courtesy".

Two sets of front rotors and pads in 11,500 miles, yet they claim there is not a problem! They did admit the original rotors were known to be defective, but now somehow the replacement set are not and this is somehow supposed to be acceptable?

I call total BS. I think the problem is poor quality rotors or uneven heating, given the weight of the car, but I am neither a mechanic nor an engineer but just a consumer who expects a so called high end car to deliver reasonable brake performance and wear!

Here in LA we use the brakes more than not on our clogged roads but this is unacceptable. I do not feel I should have to shell out $1500 of my money to buy higher quality aftermarket rotors and pads on a $70,000+ car.

I have no choice but to take their solution, but will be writing a letter to A of A management. This may be my 4th and last Audi if this is their solution, replacing rotors every 6,000 miles!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA?

Originally Posted by Allraodgone
Eric, you are spot on, the brake shudder is totally spooky and is in fact a safety issue, let alone a total disappointment for a flagship vehicle like the RS5 that is supposed to be Audi's presentation of "fine German engineering".

Spoke to the service adviser this afternoon at Pacific Audi, and A of A has agreed to replace the front pads and "warped" rotors yet again as a "courtesy".

Two sets of front rotors and pads in 11,500 miles, yet they claim there is not a problem! They did admit the original rotors were known to be defective, but now somehow the replacement set are not and this is somehow supposed to be acceptable?

I call total BS. I think the problem is poor quality rotors or uneven heating, given the weight of the car, but I am neither a mechanic nor an engineer but just a consumer who expects a so called high end car to deliver reasonable brake performance and wear!

Here in LA we use the brakes more than not on our clogged roads but this is unacceptable. I do not feel I should have to shell out $1500 of my money to buy higher quality aftermarket rotors and pads on a $70,000+ car.

I have no choice but to take their solution, but will be writing a letter to A of A management. This may be my 4th and last Audi if this is their solution, replacing rotors every 6,000 miles!
Given the attention being paid to recalls and OEMs NOT recalling stuff, this ought to get some attention.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

The interesting thing is that for every RS5 that is having this brake issue, there's at least one that doesn't have it. I don't know what the failure rate is, but it seems to be less than 50%. Also, it looks like for cars that are having this issue, it comes back even after replacing the rotors and pads. It's also not unique to a specific model year.

I had zero issues with my brakes and I drive this car hard. I did European Delivery, 4 weeks in Europe for a total of 4000 miles, most of it on the German Autobahn with lots of high speed braking. I'm talking real high speed braking from 155-174 down to 75ish, because some knucklehead decides to pull in front of me last minute. Happens more and more as the younger generation of Germans doesn't know how to drive anymore. The trip also included a visit to the Nurburgring for a few laps and just like Eric, I'm an avid canyon carver, so this car regularly flies through the canyons. Absolutely no issues on the OEM brakes. Front pads lasted 24k miles and the rears were done at 27k miles.

I decided to go aftermarket for a couple of reasons. My current setup costs about half of what another set of OEM rotors and pads would have cost and they are an upgrade over the OEM setup. My current rotors are full floating directional rotors whereas the OEM rotors are only semi floating and one side is backwards. Audi uses the same rotor on both sides, but the cooling vanes are directional, so they are actually operated backwards on one side. I also installed stainless steel brake lines and I'm using racing brake fluid, so that certainly makes a difference, too.

While the OEM setup wasn't bad, my current setup is just pure bliss in the canyons and in daily driving. Much more linear and easier to modulate.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-03-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 RS5 in shop for brake Shudder