Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Headlights Aimed Low ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what tool did you use to adjust the a3 2016 xenon headlights? Star, hex, phillips, flat screw driver? I can't see the screw head down the black plastic tube. Thanks,
Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by klharvey2
what tool did you use to adjust the a3 2016 xenon headlights? Star, hex, phillips, flat screw driver? I can't see the screw head down the black plastic tube. Thanks,
Hex, I forget what size though. It is a white plastic screw. No tube to be looking through.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Angelo1428
I'm with you on this. I had a Lexus GS before I traded to my A5 cab. The headlights are terrible on this car. They are extremely low. So much that you need to be very cautious at night on bends. They completely miss the road at times. My GS was like stadium lighting coming down the road. You saw everything perfectly and the lights followed through in bends. I just had my fog lights pulled and added HID lamps. They help a bit, but still poor design on Audi's part.
What year is your A5?
Does it have halogen or the Bixenon headlights?
If Bixenon, do they also have the Audi AFS-1 feature? IE: bending feature wherein the headlight projector swivels in the direction of the turn on a horizontal plane according to the degree the wheels are turned.
If still running the original D3S Philips bulbs, they do weaken over time.
The difference between your Lexus and Audi's lighting output may be due to the type of projector lens used in both. The Audi A5's projector uses an opague (Fresnel) lens. This is to say, they appear slightly cloudy whereas the Lexus ones may have been clear. This alone can make a significant difference. However, the euro version (Ecodes) of the A5 bixenons uses a clear lens. They alone do make a significant difference to the degree and quality of light output. The euro (Ecode) headlights also use a slightly different designed cut-off shield which delivers a very sharp beam cut-off line. These inherent properties of the euro (Ecode) headlights also deliver a slightly wider beam pattern in the process as well.

I have a 2008 A5 with bixenon AFS-1 headlights using the correct Philips D3S bulbs. I also have a 2000 b5 A4 which uses a halogen projector that I've fitted with a 50W HID retrofit kit. The upgraded A4's beam quality is probably as good as my A5's standard beam quality or perhaps slightly better. Not using the correct Philips D3S bulbs can make a difference as well.

Having said all of that, I plan on upgrading my A5's lighting situation. I live in the country so lighting quality is essential. I have a set of oem euro (Ecode) AFS-1 headlights to install in the next few weeks. But this time, I'll be using a set of Philips X-tremeVision D3S bulbs (42403XVC1). This should make a substantial improvement to my lighting situation while remaining oem throughout the whole process.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a follow up ;
Been sick since before Christmas (well the whole family)
So finally brought the car in today to the dealer.
1.Oil smell I took the plastic eng cover off and can visually see oil around the valve cover area.
Dealer said its only seepage and that there is a stage system they use to verify and its not bad enough to warrant a gasket replacement.
Keep an eye on it... Sounds kinda BS to me.

2. Strong coolant smell , no visible signs of leaks . After driving for abit (normal driving, no hot lapping ) , park in garage has strong coolant smell..
Dealer pressure tested system , no visible leaks and coolant not abnormally low, their words,, says its normal.
Two friends with A5 and A4 doesn't have the problem ... They both park in a garage .
I'll let it go for now.

3. Headlights seem aimed way to low can easily over drive the beam at night.
Dealer checked headlights said they were within 1% of in specs WTF does 1% of in specs means? So according to them they are within specs and didn't touch the adjustments.

Not sure if I want to adjust the headlights or not because if I do and anything happens they will say I voided any warranty and am liable.
So I have it noted that I had it in for the concern.

As for the oil smell , its faint , but still there. Not sure if I want to take it to another dealer and have them look at it or pressure the dealer where I bought it and just took it to.
I realize this is a CPO and under full warranty , maybe let it go for awhile and keep an eye on it and if the oil smell seems worse take it back in.

We've had the car now for 2.5 months and have only put about 500 local miles on it, short trips 35 miles or less, will be taking a 400 mile trip in the next week or so I'll see then if the (seepage) smell is worse and go from there...
Old 01-26-2017, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OFDPOS

3. Headlights seem aimed way to low can easily over drive the beam at night.
Dealer checked headlights said they were within 1% of in specs WTF does 1% of in specs means? So according to them they are within specs and didn't touch the adjustments.

Not sure if I want to adjust the headlights or not because if I do and anything happens they will say I voided any warranty and am liable.
So I have it noted that I had it in for the concern.
Overdriving your lights is a safety concern. Grab a screwdriver and turn them up one turn. If it's not enough, take another turn. There's no "headlight turned up too high warranty" to worry about. Keep them low enough so you don't blind oncoming cars when using the low beam.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the dealership where you bought it from doesn't want to be on the hook for something they already knew was an issue. Deflecting and spinning the truth is their vain attempt in hopes of either the problem or you go away. Personally, I would go to another dealer and make zero mention of where you bought the car or anything associated with your recent dealership visit. We don't want to give this new dealership an easy way out of answering questions and identifying real potential issues. If the new dealership has the impression they may have some future (non warranty related) servicing, they may side to the more seriousness of these issues which is what you're looking for as ammunition to take back to the original dealership. If you can get an estimate for repairs on paper as far as these issues are concerned from the second dealership, then you're golden.

As a side note, these types of situations are exactly why I have never bought a CPO in over 30 years. Way too many people these days lease a car and beat the living sh*t out of it knowing full well it's under warranty and that they have zero intentions of buying the car outright at the end of the lease.
I always buy from private sales.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its all under warranty , so if I go to another dealer, they will pull up the vin # and see I was just at the last dealer.

The dealer I bought it at just opened up last fall, literally a brand new dealership.

I looked at where the oil (seepage) was and they basically sprayed the area with brake-clean and now the spot clean...
I'll keep an eye on the oil and coolant and adjust the headlights up abit , just got a little concerned about doing that when I read where somebody had adjusted their's and it set a code ...

No matter which way you look at it , buying used either from private party or a used car lot or even a dealership, its a crap shoot. Heck sometimes buying new is a crap shoot...
At least with it being a CPO it does come with a warranty.

The factory warranty on this one will run out in 2019...

Last edited by OFDPOS; 01-27-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OFDPOS
Have only been out a few times now at night .
It seems like the head lights are aimed too low ?

When I start it up in the garage , it goes through its self headlights check, but driving at night I feel like I could over drive the low beam headlight aim easy, even the driving lights aren't much help for right in front either ?

Anybody else notice this or is this just common with them ?
I noticed this also with the S5 I picked up last week, an 09 model. I've been a GM man my whole life and this is my second Audi, coming from an A6 that I stepped out of to get into the S5.

My other HID equipped GM vehicles and the previous 05 A6 that I owned cast a nice light much further down the road than the S5 does. I also live rural so the difference going from one vehicle to another is quite dramatic.

I plan to adjust the lights up on the S5 to light up the road ahead of me. Even at 40-50mph it is very easy to out drive the headlights as they sit right now.

I don't think it has anything to do with the stance of the vehicle. My A6 was an S-Line model so it sat lower as well along with my STS-V, which sits lower than the regular STS does. I simply think the lights weren't optimized from the beginning of it's life.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

What a coincidence I know but bare with me!
Just tonight pulled up next to a newer A4 at a stoplight and right in front of us were two Toyota camrys same model years at least the rear of both vehicles were the same and had single drivers , both appeared to be sitting even as were we.
I lined up as close as I could side by side front ends with the A4 ,I would say we were both 10 ft behind the camrys.
My headlight beams were just under the rear license plate whereas the A4 light beams were lined up just above the the rear license plate on the other camry.

Coming home after dinner tonight we were on the freeway, (5 lanes) low beams and driving/fog lights on.
An Acura slowly pasted us, I was blown away by how much brighter the head lights were and distance down the freeway they lit up , plus the driving/fog lights dominated ours. By how much right in front and to the sides they lit up.
I speeded up and just kinda hung along side him for abit and just comparing how much better I could see with his headlights then mine.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I adjusted the lights and big improvement. Just a little more tweaking to level out both sides and I'll be happy. About one complete turn on each adjuster to bring them up so they were aimed very low. So far, so good. No flashing from oncoming traffic so I'm not too high.