Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...for the time being, I ended up buying out the lease of my current S5 to give me that time to plan out my next move. At this point, I figure I might as well wait till the Spring to avoid a potentially nasty NY winter with a new car.

I was on a business trip to San Antonio two weeks ago and I saw an Alpine White (non-metallic) M4 parked on the side of the road and I have to say, I was impressed and I am leaning towards it as a replacement to the S5. However, I will probably take a look at the next gen A5 as it seems it will be sold with a manual. While it may be hard to go back 'downmarket', if I do like it in person who knows....plus, it would save me a few bucks as well.

Someone on one of Alfa Romeo's posts on Facebook commented (and showed photos) that he was at a private event where they showed off the Giulia with a manual. However he did not say when that was as if it was any time before October, that was when Alfa was still sticking to their 'manual only' story BS.

Eric....ironically enough, when I was first looking into the Chevy SS I saw that they sold the Holden badging for it and I would absolutely go for that if I were to get the SS...err Commodore.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I've owned S6 and A6 V8 audis and M3 BMW...guess which had lower repair/maintenance?

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
No need for me to give up on manuals yet until the decision is made for me which may be at the next go around in purchasing a car. Remember, I have driven DSG/autos and they are just not my cup of tea so until I am forced to, I am not going to.

My local Audi dealer has been less than willing to lift a finger to help find a 2017 manual at one of the other dealers and for that matter, they weren't all that great when I stated that I was also interested in purchasing my current S5 off lease. There was a $500 non itemized charge between the payoff and what the new loan would be. When pressed, they stated that the dealer would be purchasing the car from Audi Financial and I in turn, purchasing the car from the dealer hence the $500 mark up. One quick visit to my credit union solved that matter with a much lower interest rate to boot.

So I visited my local BMW dealer and I was very impressed with the M4 in person...can't believe I am actually typing this as I have never been a fan of BMW's. I am still going to check out the Cayman and see if I can realistically live with a two seater as my daily driver. Some of my other 'wild cards' are the Mini Cooper Clubman JCW, VW R32 and Corvette. In the end, I think that the M4 will win out though...
Hint: It wasn't the Audi.
OTOH, the M3 is a handful in the winter but tolerable with winter snows in the MD/DC/VA area. A foot of snow, it sits in garage and probably the Audis won't go out either.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Not to mention the M4/M3 will blip the throttle/match rpm on down shifts with their manual.
You VILL learn to love the SMG.....
Old 11-30-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
Someone on one of Alfa Romeo's posts on Facebook commented (and showed photos) that he was at a private event where they showed off the Giulia with a manual. However he did not say when that was as if it was any time before October, that was when Alfa was still sticking to their 'manual only' story BS.
Comments on the Giulia QV's manual transmission have not been glowing. You've probably seen Chris Harris' review, and he is constantly referencing the BMW M3 throughout, but if not...

Old 12-01-2016, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Comments on the Giulia QV's manual transmission have not been glowing. You've probably seen Chris Harris' review, and he is constantly referencing the BMW M3 throughout, but if not...

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - Chris Harris Drives - Top Gear
Honestly, the only really 'bad' review of the Giulia's manual that I have seen is Chris Harris' and I take his with a grain of salt since all his reviews are based upon seemingly endless drifts around a race course. Something I do not plan on ever doing in whatever car I finally end up in.

Plus, my first car was my mom's hand me down 1978 1/2 Fiat SuperBrava which cam standard with a super heavy clutch and agricultural slam into gear in order to shift gear lever and I still loved it. So even the worst manual to me is preferable to an automatic.

I'm just thankful that for now, I do have some choices that I can at least be happy with even though they wouldn't be my number one or number two choice for that matter.