Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Question: Side Skirts

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Side Skirts

Hello, long time follower, first time poster. I have a 2013 A5 and I'd like to add the stone guards/side sills/side skirts to my vehicle. I just bought genuine Audi side skirts used and have gotten quotes for painting ($300) for both. I'd like to just tape/glue the skirts and not drill holes into my car. In doing my research I've read that some have taped/glued the skirts on while others have drilled holes and taped and did it the "OEM" way with the clips. My questions for those that have done the mod by tape/glue:

How has it held up over the years? Would you still recommend taping/gluing after it's being on your car for years? I'm in Wisconsin and we have hash winters. Has your tape/glue held up to the weather and car washes over the years?

Every body shop I took the skirts to, all but one said tape won't hold up. I'd defer to the people that have actually tried it. The body shops said there wasn't enough surface area on the inside of the blades to get good contact to the car. Has anyone bought/installed the cheap eBay knock off skirts? Do they have more surface area on the inside than the genuine Audi part?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know this mod has been around for a while so I'm hoping some of the early adopters can weigh in on the tape/glue holding up since they've done it.

Thanks! I look forward to any replies.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I wish I could respond to your questions, but I haven't had any experience with the side skirts with any of my previous S5's, and I don't remember seeing too many members here that have installed them. I don't think I would install them with tape or glue, but I'm sure they will look great.