Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Advice to potential all road buyers

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice to potential all road buyers

I can't speak for the new generation of allroads. But the older ones. DO NOT BUY ONE. I repeat: DO NOT BUY ONE.

100% worst car I've ever owned. Don't be fooled by what anyone tells you. They are crap.

Go ahead and bash me all you want. The cost of repairs/frequency of repairs is absurd. I even have had dealers tell me they are just crap.

Yes. Your fears WILL come true about suspension. Turbos. Shake while driving. Wheel sensor bearings. Plastic bits breaking. Rattles. Misfires. You name it.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Is it possible that your obviously unhappy experience may not match others' or represent an entire model run over several years? Your assessment (rant?) is but one data point in tens of thousands sold. The allroad, for the most part, used the same chassis, engine and components as an A6 from the C5 era. (Other than the air suspension)_

While none of my Audi have been perfect, both my '02 allroad and former '01 A6 from the same C5 chassis series have been relatively trouble free with none of the problems you mentioned except replacing two air springs at 12 years old. The cost to repair Audis is no different than the other German luxury brands and more expensive than your typical mass market sedan.

In any case, my oldest C5 Audis, including our 13 year old allroad, are/were a far cry from your characterization of "crap".
There we go; two data points to your one.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Despite all the ranting you just did, I would still buy another in a heartbeat. They are one of, if not the best, all weather vehicles produced. Cars need maintenance. Good cars take more cash for that maintenance. Buy a Corolla...
Old 10-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id like to add another data point to snagitsevens' two

01 MY bought with 95k on it
currently has 206k, running on original tippy trans (never opened to my knowledge), ko3 turbos, engine internals, and driveline (save for the front cv's that got rebuilt at around 130k)

front bags have been replaced twice by me, second time also replaced oem shocks at 191k.
rears have been replaced only once, by me, at around 195k, to replace a leaky bag and replace the oem shocks.

only big repair other than timing belt and related goodies was to have the steering rack rebuilt at around 98k, been good ever since.

except for some minor annoying audi things, door latch microswitches and the usual oil leaks, its been almost as solid as my previous 98 volvo xc70.

and after having detailed hundreds of cars over the last 5 years, i can safely say that even the interior is still top notch even against newer cars (2010-present).

the germans do know what they are doing . . .
Old 10-04-2015, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, Tahoe... I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience, but of course you know that you can't possible speak for all allroads.
I have a 2004 that has been as reliable as any vehicle I have owned. Perhaps a bit more expensive to maintain, but never left me stranded, and always performed admirably when weather conditions were bad, particularly up windy mountain roads in the snow.
The suggestion that they are "crap" is just silly, as mine has held up better than most other cars I have owned, with far fewer creaks and rattles, and all the bells and whistles one could want (heated seats, PDC, hitch, nav, leather, etc). You are, of course, welcome to vent about your particular, frustrating experience, but statements like this:
"DO NOT BUY ONE. I repeat: DO NOT BUY ONE."
"Don't be fooled by what anyone tells you. They are crap."
Are just ridiculous.

Further, with all due respect, what I have found with a vehicle like this, is that maintenance is king. I change my oil every 5,000 miles, I fix everything as soon as it needs attention, I let no sign of potential trouble go unchecked.
I have seen many complain about the reliability of cars, and it turns out that they wanted to do little more than get in and turn the key. To keep a car over the long haul requires a bit of effort and forethought... Perhaps you did all of these things, and just got a troublesome car... certainly possible, but your blanket statements are just not true... sorry.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I work on two Allroads for a husband and wife. Both cars were bought with milage between 90,xxx-120,xxx about three years back and they were in and out of the shop all the time.

My first impression was the Allroads were unreliable - air suspension issues, 2.7t motor is tight quarters for hands and tools. It seemed like the Allroads were on the lift more than they were on the road. But after the initial downpour of repairs, they have been reliable. Recently saw one for an oil chance at 162,000 miles, and I replaced the fuel pump on the other at 198,XXX.

When you buy a used car, you are getting a used car. Often there are a bunch of fixes on the horizon. Take the car to a trusted mechanic and check it over.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Highmile
... after the initial downpour of repairs, they have been reliable.
This echoes my experience (2002, bought at 195k km, 2.7t.) Spent six months getting caught up on maintenance the previous owner had let slide.

I had a shop replace the air suspension and have had a few long afternoons on my back chasing oil leaks and coolant leaks, but all of that was work I can do myself (I am not a mechanic nor do I have a garage). These are high-performance, complicated pieces of equipment. There are a lot of things to break, and over time all of them will (usually in batches, I've found!)

It's high maintenance, but the overall cost of repairs and down time are still far less than a car payment on a new RAV 4 or something similarly boring.

Finally, forums like this are what make it possible for people like me to own a car like this.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allow me to add another data point - my wife is a cancer survivor and I bought her 2004 Allroad as a present when she was found cancer free after a year of hell and treatment. It now only has 70K miles on it, but the only repairs I've done are brake pads, tires, oil changes and the front air bags, which I did myself.
She absolutely loves her car and even tho we've looked at others to replace it, we've just decided to keep it "forever"......
Even if we wind up with some spendy repairs later, it will still be more cost effective than buying a new car, which won't be half the car this one is.

The OP doesn't give any info about his car, whether he bought it new or used, mileage and what sort of repairs it's needed, but these trolling posts are annoying as hell.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by allroaddave
Allow me to add another data point - my wife is a cancer survivor and I bought her 2004 Allroad as a present when she was found cancer free after a year of hell and treatment. It now only has 70K miles on it, but the only repairs I've done are brake pads, tires, oil changes and the front air bags, which I did myself.
She absolutely loves her car and even tho we've looked at others to replace it, we've just decided to keep it "forever"......
Even if we wind up with some spendy repairs later, it will still be more cost effective than buying a new car, which won't be half the car this one is.

The OP doesn't give any info about his car, whether he bought it new or used, mileage and what sort of repairs it's needed, but these trolling posts are annoying as hell.
About to buy an 04 Allroad with 71K on it. That will be Audi number 6. 128K on my 98 A6 Avant and went through 10k in repairs (bought it with 80K for 9K) and traded it on an Acura for my wife. Most of the repairs were electrical and I later found out it had been somewhat under water. Car was clean but an electrical mess. My daughters 99 A4 went to 138K with no problems before an aftermarket tie rod snapped and she hit a concrete bridge abutment - that was the end of that. My 03 A6 Avant has 222K on it with the biggest repairs of prop shaft and torque converter. It needs front shocks, rear brakes, front motor mounts, and a heater core flush so I get heat again in 10 degree weather. My 06 Avant is our family go on trip cars and it has 113K on it. Just took it from New England to North Carolina and back - averaged 27 hand-calc'd mpg and drove beautifully. My wife's 05 Cab with a 3.0 has 108K and has had brakes and tires so far. My 03 was my daily driver and I put about 25K on a year which makes it just not financially worth it to buy anything new until I retire or shorten my commute. The Allroad will take it's place so we'll see how things go but overall, I have VAG and do a lot my repairs and have a great indy in the area as well as a dealer I trust that gives me service discounts and loaners even though I've never bought a car from them. Not sure I could do any better than that. Retirement car will be a CPO Audi. Safe, reliable, and comfortable.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also do all my own work, and will continue to do so as long as I am able.....after that I guess I will have to just drive my old classic Mini :-)
These cars can be complicated to repair, but I try to remember that it's supposed to work, and go from there....

I do understand that in this day and age of $150/hr shop labor, if you can't do your own work you need something cheap, reliable and disposable.

Quick Reply: Advice to potential all road buyers