Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

air suspension valve block problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello ,

sam clarkson I am experiencing the same problems, and i removed my pump and opened it. there was a ton of water inside it. I don't know how it got in but also the silencing spunges which are at the beginning of the intake behind the spare, were also soaking wet.
There is aslo one little black filter of a kind on the tube line before the pump that may be stuck as well. I just read all posts and i have never tried oiling my system , but right now i will.

The pump also can be warn off due to overheating. The valve that is used to actually pump inside is made of some teflon like substance and i had one pump in which it was worn off.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 01772 issue was solved with a new compressor from Arnott. I purchased the Mercedes on they sell which is a lot cheaper. Been almost 4 months now with no code. Oiling your system is not recommended as it could have bad long term effects.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/38968.phtml
Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this is an old thread but it helped me so I thought I would add to it for people browsing later....

Mine is an Allroad 2.5 TD, 2003, UK spec.

Some time ago I was soemtimes getting the error light on the dash board showing, I had it looked at and was told that the rear air bags were leaking, but elected not to replace them due to cost.

More recently the system was often stuck below level 1 and the final straw was damaging the front bumper (fender) on a kerb. So time to replace those air bags. Bought the ones from Arnot via an importer on ebay.

Used an independent mechanic but his diagnostic reader could not communicate with the air suspension ECU. The system was completed deflated after the air bags were changed but we could not get it to inflate.

The level 1 light and the dashboard light would flash for a couple of minutes, could hear the compressor going but then it would cut out, presumably because it tripped the thermal cut-out.

Started searching forums like this one and came accross a link to a document SSP_243.pdf. Here I found some crucial information, about the Pressure accumulator.

Air supply strategy
At driving speeds of < 36 km/h air supply is
effected primarily by the pressure
accumulator (provided sufficient pressure is
available).
The pressure accumulator is only filled when
driving at speeds of 36 km/h and above.
At a driving speed of > 36 km/h the air supply
is primarily from the compressor.

My solution was to choose a suitable piece of road turn off the ignition and restart and then drive at over 36 km/h for about 15 minutes, soon the suspension had reached level 1, so I pressed the up button and a bit later it had reached level 2. Previously I had always been driving too slowly at the start of my journeys and by the time I had got up to speed the compressor had already cut-out, thrown an error and the system had been disabled.

I probably still have some problems somewhere in the system but at least I am no longer driving on the shocks only.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T

Just looking for a little guidance, bought the SUV used said they put new air bags in, it won't go up or down just stays in the middle setting. Going to try the oil but is there anything that should be warning signs? The compressor works but is noisy.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Cain,

I have had a fair amount of trouble with Airbags and Compressor which gave trouble getting the suspension to go up but never had the issue where the suspension would not go down.

I would think this could be the valve block is seized up or a fault with the ECU. The valve block should vent off some air when the suspension goes down and this is audible from outside the vehicle. If the Air suspension gives you an orange warning light on the dash board then the ECU should generate an error code. If you can find a mechanic with the right diagnostic tool they can tell you what the error code is which might help with the diagnosis.

Incidentally my Allroad is running well at the moment, over the years I have replaced all the airbags and most recently the compressor, which I bought from Germany on Ebay for £200.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sam clarkson
It's winter again here in New Zealand and my suspension us up to it's old tricks.
Suspension is often slammed down. The dash (orange) light flashes as does the green level 1 light. The air pump tries to raise it up, but eventually gives up and trips out. Other times it raises up immediately.
If I leave the car in jack mode it never sags, that must eliminate any possibility of a bag leak, yes?
The issue is always associated with cold/wet weather.
The air tool oil seems to not be able to help and I'm assuming there is a valve/valves freezing stuck.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to an appropriate way to dry out the system and hopefully eliminate the risk of a frozen valve(s)?
Im having a similar problem. Have been told to replace valve block due to a sticky valve... Also heard that adding oil isnt good. Some swear by it, some don't... Not sure what to do here. It only happens when it drops below 0 degrees celcius
Old 12-03-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sticky valves

Originally Posted by DUB2DY4
Im having a similar problem. Have been told to replace valve block due to a sticky valve... Also heard that adding oil isnt good. Some swear by it, some don't... Not sure what to do here. It only happens when it drops below 0 degrees celcius
Probably there is water in the air spring system. If there is an air leak from air spring moisture enters the system and can not get out. The water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius and the valve gets sticky. Puting oil to the air system helps the compressor to build pressure in the first days and a month after that you need to replace the compressor and the valve block, and clean up all the oil \ water from the system.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Air suspension won’t rise

I got a ESP on the dash then the front end drop I changed all for still won’t rise ...do I need a reset/reprogrammed or a new batt?im calling all audi owner to help me with this expensive issue ...
Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have to delete all the fault codes from the control module (s)
Old 11-08-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default More of the same

2008 allroad 3.0tdi
Hello, I am looking for help, my suspension is completely down and will not rise, took it to a mechanic who said I need a level control pressure sensor, G291 and that would be about £400 plus 3 to 4 hours labour, my question is, is this part of the level control block and will a non oem part work? I see them on eBay for about £150 Any help will be much appreciated

Quick Reply: air suspension valve block problems