Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Possible First allroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible First allroad

I am looking at my first Audi and would love a little guidance from the experts on this forum. Also thanks, as I'm sure you see a lot of these types of threads.

I've been looking at allroad wagons for a couple of weeks now and found what could be a winner.

2005 allroad 4.2 (140k miles)
Very clean both inside and out
There have been 4 owners, and no accidents. The airbags have been replaced and seem to be functioning perfectly. I'm wondering about the timing chain guides (should I be concerned? ) and a slight oil smell under the hood.
Is there a way to know if the timing chain guides are close to gone?
I'm not certain but, the oil smell seems to be coming from a small leak at the front driver side corner of the engine.
I really liked this one and it seems quite clean, I just wonder about the couple of things I mentioned.
What should I look for or consider?

Thanks for your time. I'm already imagining some of the upgrades I would "need" if this thing works out.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be wrong but, I think that your V8 may be old enough to have a timing belt instead of chains.
If it has chains and the guides haven't been changed recently, run, don't walk, to your favorite service center and get the job done.
Sounds like a nice car, assuming the price is right.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hrvatski Medvjed
2005 allroad 4.2 (140k miles)
I'm wondering about the timing chain guides (should I be concerned? ) and a slight oil smell under the hood.
Is there a way to know if the timing chain guides are close to gone?
I'm not certain but, the oil smell seems to be coming from a small leak at the front driver side corner of the engine.

What should I look for or consider?
Yes it is wise to be concerned about the timing chain guides. The main indicator is a rattling sound. Most of these V8 engines rattle for a few seconds on a cold start. If the rattling continues, or is noticeable at any other time other than starting the car, there is likely an issue. There is no service interval for this, but after 100k miles failures are common.

Oil leaks are also common, especially the valve cover gaskets. The valve covers themselves have issues with the paint flaking off, which should be removed when replacing the gaskets.

Originally Posted by Mike B
I may be wrong but, I think that your V8 may be old enough to have a timing belt instead of chains.
If it has chains and the guides haven't been changed recently, run, don't walk, to your favorite service center and get the job done.
Sounds like a nice car, assuming the price is right.
V8 allroads have the same basic engine as your S4, so they all have timing chains.