Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Aux Fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Fan not working

Hi all,
In the last few months my A/C condenser fan ( in front of radiator ) has been sounding like a 747 jet anytime I turn on the A/C. My misinformed mechanic said it was a bad fan, however upon looking at some brilliant allroad forums, I realized my Aux fan ( behind radiator, passenger side) is not coming on at all, causing the other fan to over compensate.

I just jumped my Aux fan to my car battery and it still did not come on. I'm I to assume that it's a fried fan now? Just want to make sure before I purchase a new Aux Fan.

Also can someone refer me to a good aftermarket Aux fan, or should I drop the cash on an OEM one, and is it very difficult to pull the fan out and replace? I unscrewed the top screw but it seems pretty tight in there.
Thanks in advance
'05 2.7t
Old 06-20-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222014146424?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Cheap and works great. Access is tight but you can replace it by removing the underbelly pan, intake pipe to air cleaner, and the passenger side black intercooler to Y pipe intake pipe. No need to go full service position. Fan itself is pretty easy, but routing the wire back is more difficult.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 06-20-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Here you go: Brand New Electric Radiator Cooling Fan for 98 00 VW Passat 96 02AUDI A4 | eBay

Cheap and works great. Access is tight but you can replace it by removing the underbelly pan, intake pipe to air cleaner, and the passenger side black intercooler to Y pipe intake pipe. No need to go full service position. Fan itself is pretty easy, but routing the wire back is more difficult.
Thanks for the link, looks like I will be purchasing that one. I did pull off the belly pan and mess with the wiring that goes below the radiator, but I'm assuming I take the fan out the top of the engine, correct? Also, is the black intercooler pipe difficult to remove? Thanks
Old 06-21-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I did mine, I don't recall removing anything but the snorkel from the radiator to the air box. You simply remove the one screw on top of the fan, rotate it, and pull it out. The hardest part was routing the wires. Took me 5 minutes, but I have no belly pan.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To follow up on my original problem,.....
I fixed the "air raid" fan noise, the fan in front of the radiator was indeed compensating for the fact that my aux fan( pass side ) was not working. After replacing the dead aux fan with the above aftermarket fan, everything seemed to work properly for a few days, (both fans spinning at normal speeds)....until today. We had a 85+ day and now when I turn on the a/c at idle the engine is very rough. It seems to die down when driving, however I was just driving around town and the roughness of the engine is very noticeable( feels as if the aux fan is spinning to fast), I cannot believe that this would be normal. Any suggestions? Still ice cold a/c and no overheating. Thanks