Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Cam belt kits - favorite or preferred?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam belt kits - favorite or preferred?

My car is a 2004 with 72K on it and the original cambelt - the car spends it's days in the garage as it's the wife's car and she works nights. I've decided it might be about time to replace it :-)

So looking for a consensus on which belt kit to go with, I've seen numerous threads on these, some kits seem to have OEM parts and some aftermarket and some seem to have Chinese made parts of questionable quality. I'm prepared to spend what I need to for the best kit and plan to get the whole magilla......water pump, sprockets etc.....

So....

FCP?

ECS?

Blauparts?

Europaparts?

JHM?

Other brand?

Last edited by allroaddave; 03-11-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Follow up question.....

We had the valve cover gaskets and seals replaced at about 35K, I don't see any evidence that they're leaking now tho I do get the occasional whiff of oil smell, would you go ahead and replace them again "while you're in there"?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the ECS Gates kit currently in my AR. Got about 30K on it with no problems so far, but the belt kevlar belt was a little noisy when cold at first. Quieted down after a 1000 miles or so.

Most idler pulleys will be either INA or NTN. Belts will be Continental or Gates(kevlar). Big difference seems to be the actual WP. I like HEPU, GEBA, or GRAF.

Doing gaskets and seals is up to you since yours are not that old, but should do the thermostat while in there.

You do need the cam lock bar and crank lock pin to do the TB service properly.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap against the OEM kit. I had problems with others. Especially regarding the tensioner, the water pump (OEM Supplier: Graf!) and as mentioned, do not forget the thermostat -> only the OEM one will work really properly for a long term. I would also change the flattening plastic L-form water pipe front of the timing belt.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Banned

+1 on oem parts for everything, might be a few bucks, but worth it.
did a VCG job about 2 months ago with all oem gaskets, 0 leakage.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went with Blauparts kit, they claim all OEM or OEM supplier parts and the tool kit they rent you is very comprehensive.

I'm starting on it this weekend.

For anyone who has done this job already, do you need to remove the front end to do it, or can it be done with the bumper et al in place?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bumper removed. Front carrier with radiator, AC condenser, etc. placed into service position which is basically slide 5 or so inches forward on long bolts that you must supply. Long bolts go into the holes that bumper mounts where previously using.

The Blau kit should included pretty good instructions. Other tips are to loosen the 3 power steering pulley bolts before removing acc belt. Helps hold pulley from turning. Mechanical fan is opposite threads and there is a special tool to hold the WP pulley from turning to get fan off. There are also hidden bolts behind the WP pulley that are very difficult to find. Must use holes in the pulley to access. Crank lock pin can be a pain and extensions and swivels are needed. Puller needed to remove cam sprockets if doing the cam seals and to just get timing back spot on. Good luck. It's a all day job and you will see why labor cost is so high to hire it done.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 03-26-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found a terrific video on YouTube that went thru the whole job and the valve cover gasket/cam seals job too - very thorough and the guy really knew all the tricks and tips.

The service mode is very similar to the MINI's which I work on frequently.....

Old 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

You've listed resellers. What you need is the manufactures name that actually produced the part. Go with Contitech, aka Conti, aka Continental for the belt. Don't fall prey the "Blue Racing Belt" that has nothing to offer but a different color. It's all marketing puffery that has no documentation to prove its cost effectiveness.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went with Blauparts, so far it's running sweet.....and I did not buy the blue "racing" belt....