Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Durability of Allroads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Durability of Allroads?

Greetings fellers.. I'm new here and I'm giving serious consideration to the new 14' or 15' allroad.

I've driven Chevys, Hondas, and Subarus mainly, as I've never been that into luxury cars. But that all changed when I got my wife into a 15' Audi A4 and I'm secretly jealous.. I want an Audi too now.

I'm just curious on the durability and maintenance on these cars in the long run. I'm planning to purchase it, and definitely will be using it as a primary family car for trips up to the mountains and etc.

I'm leasing a Subaru XV currently, and I have about $5k remaining on my contract so I may wait it out.. but if a dealership would be willing to eat 1/2 of that or so I just might be willing to get into an Allroad by the weekend. If not, next year for sure.. but in the meantime definitely interested in hearing your experiences with this car.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The newest cars are not problematic, Parcour. However, you should know that if "reliability" is your primary concern, you should focus on an Asian mfr., not European, certainly not GM.

OTOH, if you've suffered thru a GM product, you'll embrace the Audi....with higher maint. costs, unless you can handle the basic stuff in your own garage.

Welcome aboard !!!!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with uberwgn. After the warantee expires German cars are very expensive to maintain.
When we sold our company, a lot of friends asked me what to buy, knowing I'm an Audi bigot. I sold 12 Audi's that year, but I also sold 17 Subies and 21 Toyota's.
If you want to buy a car and never have to see the dealer again, get a Subie for full-time AWD, or, if AWD is not important, get a Toyota.

Last edited by Mike B; 08-26-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I guess I'd have to just baby it a lot more if I were to go with an Audi. I just saw another Allroad parked last night, and all I could think to myself was, "I'm getting this car!"

I'm in a Subie now.. but it's far too underpowered. I would have considered a new WRX if the hatch option was available, why they got rid of it is idiotic. The other models are just ugly imo.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcour
Thanks guys. I guess I'd have to just baby it a lot more if I were to go with an Audi. I just saw another Allroad parked last night, and all I could think to myself was, "I'm getting this car!"

I'm in a Subie now.. but it's far too underpowered. I would have considered a new WRX if the hatch option was available, why they got rid of it is idiotic. The other models are just ugly imo.
As with all Audi's, Porsche's etc...You buy an Audi, because you want to own and, most especially, want to DRIVE an Audi.

When long term dependability or maintenance costs rule your car buying decision, you end up driving a boring, soulless Asia car...HURL!!!! IMHO You could wipe ALL Asian cars from automotive history and nothing would change.

German car ownership is NOT necessarily expensive...you ONLY hear about the failures, never the overwhelming majority of success...you also hear from people who leave themselves at the mercy of dealer mechanics. 98% of those mechanics (and indy pro mechanics too) are lying to you and costing you thousands you usually did NOT need to spend.

I do all my own work, and 10 full years of ownership/daily driving my A8 has cost me a total of a few hundred bucks, including timing belt replacement.

Even if you don't do your own tooling (not that tough on most maint/repairs), BUY A SERVICE MANUAL and study it a bit...then you'll know when a "pro" mechanic is trying to screw you, which (like a lawyer) is just as soon as they start talking

Last edited by silverd2; 08-26-2014 at 05:04 AM.