Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

symphony ii / Tlematics (Onstar) ings down k2???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Symphony ii radio / Telematics (Onstar) shorts k2???

I have the water leak, passenger flood issue. The car runs but I have to replace the standard ESP and Auto Trans modules - which are removed. At first K1 and K2 were shorted but the removal of the two modules freed K1 from shorting. When starting the engine after the removal of the ESP and Trans modules, the radio panel showed "PHONE" and some garbled ring sound came from the speakers connected in the OnStar circuit. Turned off the ignition but the panel and ringing do not reappear. VAG says K2 shorted. Also Radio and Telematics are interconnected on the K1 and K2 busses for telematics function. So, I can't rule out either or both.

I can see the Telematics module and the 3 mounting nuts but cannot see the power and antenna connectors. Also every thing is tight there. The question is if I remove the Module from the mount does anyone know if there is enough play in the connecting cables to allow them to be disconnected? (Pictures and discussions are sparse to nil on the web.)

The radio is coming out as soon as my removal tools arrive.

Thanks.

Last edited by johnak210; 01-08-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by johnak210
I have the water leak, passenger flood issue. The car runs but I have to replace the standard ESP and Auto Trans modules - which are removed. At first K1 and K2 were shorted but the removal of the two modules freed K1 from shorting. When starting the engine after the removal of the ESP and Trans modules, the radio panel showed "PHONE" and some garbled ring sound came from the speakers connected in the OnStar circuit. Turned off the ignition but the panel and ringing do not reappear. VAG says K2 shorted. Also Radio and Telematics are interconnected on the K1 and K2 busses for telematics function. So, I can't rule out either or both.

I can see the Telematics module and the 3 mounting nuts but cannot see the power and antenna connectors. Also every thing is tight there. The question is if I remove the Module from the mount does anyone know if there is enough play in the connecting cables to allow them to be disconnected? (Pictures and discussions are sparse to nil on the web.)

The radio is coming out as soon as my removal tools arrive.

Thanks.
Hey, that's really interesting. I've bought my '04 with the koi pond syndrome. First time I drove the car the radio worked. Second time I got the phone message and no sound. Unfortunately that second drive was 4 hours...and I'm surprised that with the quantity of water in the passenger footwell, it ran at all!

Let me know if you make progress on this and I'll do the same... my car is in pieces right now, with the carpet hanging from the rafters, still dripping!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the vcds? If your k1 and k2 lines are not shorted then you can get module status from vcds. Does your car start?

We may not have the same problem but do have similar circumstances. My vcds is showing that the K2 line is shorted. Because of this I cannot get any module reading but all seems to work after replacing the trans module. No dash lights, etc. Car runs great but k2 shorted (started this venture with both shorted). Up front, Radio, telematics, heat & air conditioning, and central locks modules are on k2.

Since the post I've removed the radio. Not a solution. Heat & Air not the problem. Still haven't tried to get to telematics - no guts yet.