Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Warning about new Arnott Allroad shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ absolutely.

You need to weight your choices.

For me it was easy. After repeat failures of arnott bags, fixing it got real old. I can't even imagine feasibility of that when you have to pay somebody else to fix it, so it is strictly DIY item. That only leaves OEM stuff which is prohibitively expensive given the cost of car...

So I decided to ditch the air which got me about $1.2k back after selling everything, as I had very low mileage components and demand for them is high since apparently everyone's air suspension is failing. That's very good compressor, level ECU, valve block, 4 bags, 4 shocks.

I spent $800 for coilover set. Installed it. Car drives much better now (more planted), I can move it to any level I want in a garage, completely not missing air suspension whose utlitity was strictly of a "novelty" variety to me, as I suspect is to 95% of users.

Best part: nothing can fail now as steel springs are pretty resilient stuff .

The point about needed the car higher and towing: Simply put the coilover at higher height and it will still drive very very nicely (something air can never approach, air is too compliant to have a car that reacts in any nimble manner) there and allow for towing which doesn't load the rear all that much after all.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

PetrolBear,
"However, the markets' demand tends to neglect value difference between those Allroads which have been maintained / replaced to new parts very thorougly in a usually costly way (suspension, engine leaks, turbos, transmission) and the usually neglected exemplars that are offered for 2-3-4-5k."
Agreed. And I agree with the idea of just keeping the allroad for the long term I have looked at (and owned) many cars that claim similar capabilities, and none have the driving experience/utility that the allroad does (to me, of course), and while there may be other cars that may be a bit less trouble, I am OK with feeding my allroad the parts it needs to keep driving.

Rick
Old 05-21-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thejulex

Best part: nothing can fail now as steel springs are pretty resilient stuff .
Careful, I'm on two new Arnott Bilstein coil-overs in the front after they've failed (7000km, 24 months. Both replaced under warranty)
Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by YKallroad
Careful, I'm on two new Arnott Bilstein coil-overs in the front after they've failed (7000km, 24 months. Both replaced under warranty)
I should be careful what I say, don't I. Apply what I said to everything but what's made/sold by Arnott
Old 06-02-2015, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is also the solution from BecauseBags. I am curious if their shocks are off the shelf parts and can be replaced for a reasonable cost in the future.

My system is starting to show some need for repair and I am trying to figure out what direction to go. I do all my own work, so the Arnott airbags seem like an okay option, but the aftermarket shock options for these cars are unbelievably limited.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone else have experience with Arnott's front shocks? My Allroad's got 107K miles on it now and the suspension's a bit worn (as you can imagine) but my wife and I want to keep the air suspension, but we don't have a treasure chest full of gold to replace the shocks with Audi OEM. It looks like Arnott sells front shocks that will work with the OEM airsprings and they're less than $200 a piece. Are they any good?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wlmmn
Anyone else have experience with Arnott's front shocks? My Allroad's got 107K miles on it now and the suspension's a bit worn (as you can imagine) but my wife and I want to keep the air suspension, but we don't have a treasure chest full of gold to replace the shocks with Audi OEM. It looks like Arnott sells front shocks that will work with the OEM airsprings and they're less than $200 a piece. Are they any good?
i replaced my front shocks with 195k on them with the arnotts and they ride fine
i have some little things i need to address but i have no complaints about them

hit the link for install with pics and whatnot arnott shocks are ok
Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PaperToast
i replaced my front shocks with 195k on them with the arnotts and they ride fine
i have some little things i need to address but i have no complaints about them

hit the link for install with pics and whatnot arnott shocks are ok
Nice, thanks for the link, that helps. Might just do that.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Torsti Tenhunen
Just to note you all:

This article and its' title are edited based on Arnott feedback and for clarity. I've discussed with Arnott representative and I'm eager to edit this message and consider my experience as a single unfortunate incident if I get new information about the origin of the shocks.

-----

Arnott is selling black FRONT shock absorbers for Audi Allroad that by manufacturer's comments, should be the same Chinese copies of the OEMs that can be found in many different shops like Meissler, Air Suspension Shop and Aerosus (and even from Alibaba where they ask 80 euros if you order more than 5).

Now, I've experienced this personally by first ordering a pair from Meissler and after disappointment a pair from Arnott. Very much same stuff up to the yellow sticker at the bottom. I hope I'm wrong and there's some horrible mistake in here. In the meantime, I'm going back to OEM.

Rear non-OEMs are truly bad. Fortunately Arnott is not selling rear shocks at all at the moment. The load valve doesn't work as intended and the shock has totally different dampening factor for quick hits and larger swings than the OEM has.

The only sensible non-OEM rear shock is actually a Polish hand-made Allroad version of Audi A6 Sachs shock. If Arnott would sell this version, it would be a good decision from them.

They btw also sell the same Chinese fronts that are the same everywhere. Audi A6 Allroad C5 Regeneracja Airmatic Limak

Places to find the same stuff:

Case For Audi A6 Allroad Quattro Avant New Front Left Or Right Shock Absorbers Oe# 4z 7413 031a,4z7413031a - Buy 4z 7413 031a,4z7413031a Product on Alibaba.com

Federung: Luftfeder Federbein Stoßdämpfer Federbeinstützlager Dichtun

Audi A6 C5 Front Shock Absorber (Left or Right) - 4Z7413031A | Aerosus

LESSONS LEARNED: The Chinese OEM copy-shocks are not useless. But don't expect the same quality as the OEM maker Sachs/Continental brings. I've tested them all.

My advice at the moment is to save money for the OEM fronts and permanently close the load valve from the rear Sachs/Continental shocks or choose the modified Limak Sachs version.

Hi

I have now the same experience with shocks from Aerosus. I mounted them for one year ago, and after a ride on winter damaged norwegian roads they are worn out. Most noticeable on the rear. I have search for OEM shocks, but the price is to high. You mentioned a polish company adapting shocks to fit the rear wheels, but the link doesn't work. Do you have the company name, or have you seen other solutions better when the chinese products?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The shop is LIMAK

I have a pair of the rear shocks in one of the Allroads and I'm happy. They are soft and not at all as sporty as the OEM can be if you close the valve. But they are good quality and operate logically.

My other Allroad has modified OEMs (valve closed) and they are much more tight.

Torsti

Quick Reply: Warning about new Arnott Allroad shock absorbers