Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 90SQ
Found one, it's not cheap but i refuse to drill holes in a S6 to instal the Curt hitch!!!

Premium Station wagon 04.1998-2004 European Tow bars | hitches. Designed specifically for your Station wagon 04.1998-2004

Cheers!!!
Wow not cheap at all and it looks kinda cheap. I did the curt hitch but I really wanted a 2" hitch for my bike rack. Why did they ever stop making the audi hitch if the allroad came with a freaking tow package!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Trailer hitch

I have a 2005 allroad.
Are you still selling the hitches?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrKid
Unfortunately, Justin seems to have disappeared.
Originally Posted by Nicknycusa
Are you still selling the hitches?
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been really busy with other stuff and it's hard to find time to fit this in. I just placed an order last week to manufacture more hitches. Lead time at this point is probably 4 weeks until I have hitches ready to ship. Pricing is still the same.

This document covers all the hitch specs and basic info.
Hitch info
If you would like to order a hitch, please email me as noted in the document above.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default interested in your hitch

Hi i was wondering if you still had any of these available. Very interested in purchasing one.

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
Ok everyone I have good news. I have finally sorted everything out with a fabrication shop here in Pittsburgh and we are ready to go ahead with this project. I'm sorry it took so long, I certainly didn't anticipate that being the case. I am placing the order this week, so if you would like a hitch please contact me as soon as possible.

To reiterate, here are the hitch specs:
Similar in design to the NA OEM hitch, mounts in the same locations
Class III hitch
Uses a 2" vertical hidden receiver
Rated at 3300 lbs towing weight, 330 lbs tongue weight as I can't recommend more than what Audi states in the owners manual
Hidden, swing down electrical connector bracket
Loops for safety chains
Receiver anti-wobble bolt
Mounting points for bumper crossmember
Powdercoated black finish

To simplify things on my end, I am now selling the hitch as a basic package only. It includes the hitch, 5/8" pin, and mounting hardware. It does not include a ball mount, bike rack adapter, or electrical connector. This will cost $550 plus shipping, or you can pick it up in Pittsburgh PA.

I would like to get a solid number of hitches to build in an initial production run. Right now I have a minimum number that I am planning on, but it would be simpler to order more hitches now rather than later. The shop is ready to start building them next week, and the lead time is 3-4 weeks. If you would like to purchase one of these hitches, then I am asking for a $50 deposit up front, and the remainder due when I ship it to you or you can pick it up. Please email me at allroadhitch at gmail.com to start your order. You can also send me Paypal to that address.

I made some changes so now the hitch works with an off the shelf ball mount and bike rack adapter. These can be purchased from most hitch suppliers or Amazon.com.
The ball mount is Curt Mfg 45003. It will place the center of the tow ball approximately 18" off the ground. The tow ball is sold separately. You can use any ball with a 1" shank. I selected Curt 40004 for a 2" ball.
The bike rack adapter for 2" racks is Curt 45013. The center of the horizontal 2" receiver is approximately 12" off the ground. There is also an adapter available for 1-1/4" bike racks, Valley V76472, although I have not purchased one of these to test fit it myself.
The Euro 13 pin to US 4 pin electrical connector can either be purchased here or assembled from off the shelf parts based on my instructions on allroadFAQ here.

The installation of this hitch is the same as the OEM hitch, and instructions can be found on allroadFAQ here. The only additional step is that a small amount of plastic must be cut off of the removable rear "skid plate" to clear the 2" receiver. It is not noticeable at all once installed.

Disclaimer: I want to make it clear that I am doing this on my own as a way of helping the allroad community. I am not a business and this is not part of my job, although I am a mechanical engineer. I'm not trying to make a fortune on this, but I do need to cover some of my time spent designing the hitch and setting up the production. As it stands now I don't think I will ever recoup those costs. By purchasing this hitch, you understand and agree that I assume no liability in the event of accident, nor for damage or injury to person or property of any nature whatsoever. You voluntarily and freely assume all risk of accident, injury, or damage to or loss of property.

Thank you,

Justin Scheifflee

Here is a picture of a prototype hitch installed. The production models will have more weld bead showing and not be ground smooth.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by michael.lear
Hi i was wondering if you still had any of these available. Very interested in purchasing one.
Yes, I am building more now, see the post above yours for more info.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone remember which years came with the trailer light connection, regardless of tow package or not? I thought it was in this thread, but couldn't find it.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrKid
Does anyone remember which years came with the trailer light connection, regardless of tow package or not? I thought it was in this thread, but couldn't find it.
2001 cars usually do not have trailer wiring installed, but 2002-2005 cars have it.

You can check for it by removing the metal "skid plate" on the bottom of the rear bumper and looking for the Euro connector on a bracket below the bumper.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gotcha, I'll check. If not, Curt's is the best way to go?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey, I'm kinda interested as i just picked up an allroad. Could you please PM me with a price and availability
Thank You
Old 09-02-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24847398

Quick Reply: Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.