Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Android Auto/Apple CarPlay in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto/Apple CarPlay in Europe

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to know if anyone has tried to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay in Europe. Or is this, like everything else, not activated until the car arrives in the US. I know that Audi provides a Garmin GPS. But I would much rather use my phone, which I am intimately familiar with and can pre-load driving directions onto, instead of having to learn how to use a new device while navigating through a foreign country. Thanks for the info.
Chad
Old 05-16-2016, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm that Android Auto works fine with a 2017 Q7 for euro delivery.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Count.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, they both should work. It's just mirroring a dumbed-down UI to the MMI. The only thing is that you might want to get a local SIM card, otherwise you'll be paying roaming fees through the nose. Apple Maps has no offline capabilities. Google Maps on Android I believe finally got proper offline support.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Superswiss. Sprint allows me to pay for one month of European data for less than getting a SIM card. And I can still send and receive text messages for free. I have used google maps before without using data. I put in the directions in my hotel room while connected to the wifi. It loads the complete route from start to finish and gives perfect directions as long as you have a gps signal (which does not require data). The downside to this is your visual map slowly degrades as you get further from your departure, to the point that the visual map is illegible by the time you get to your destination. Also, if you leave your route, it won't recalculate without a data/wifi connection (eg construction detours, traffic, etc).
Old 05-17-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, that's basically the experience. I use HERE maps whenever I travel to Europe which can download entire continents onto the phone and navigate completely offline. Do you have an Android phone or iPhone? I'm asking, because you can only use Apple Maps over Car Play. If you want to use Google Maps, you have to use an Android phone.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again Superswiss. I have an android phone. I had never heard of HERE, I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And I assume you are running Android 5.x Lollipop, otherwise no Android Auto. You've never heard of HERE? Nokia acquired Navteq to form the HERE business unit and recently sold it to a consortium made up of BMW, VW and Daimler. HERE pretty much powers all in car nav units, many portable GPS, Bing Maps etc. and they have a free iPhone and Android app. The app used to be exclusive to Windows Phone initially, which is why I used to have Nokia Lumia phone for a few years. It's pretty much hands down the best mapping/nav app for traveling thanks to the full offline support and it's free.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-17-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, I'm actually running 6.0 marshmallow which is supposed to be compatible. I did not know that the Nokia map was called HERE. I am familiar with the program.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, Marshmallow is fine. I meant to say Lollipop or higher.

Quick Reply: Android Auto/Apple CarPlay in Europe