Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

High Beams not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Beams not working

They work on the "flash to pass" feature, but neither indicator or high beams work when you push the lever forward.

Would that be the switch--any idea about cost/complexity for the fix?

Took the car from Hartford to Boston & back with a tank + Techron.

This AM with temp in the lower 50's (F) really running a lot better.

Nice ride--enjoying!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Tom
They work on the "flash to pass" feature, but neither indicator or high beams work when you push the lever forward. Would that be the switch--any idea about cost/complexity for the fix? Thanks, Tom
My first thought was just to buy a new switch module, 4D0953513C for the UrS6 (but also the 95-97 A6, the early A4s and the early A8s) because I remembered them being on close-out for cheap money recently. BUT when checking availability at Genuine Audi Parts in San Diego (my go to for parts I can't get in Canada), I get NLA.

Audi Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com

This leaves you with finding a good used one or repairing yours (probably burned contacts - maybe as the result of somebody running 100W bulbs without a relay, drawing power through the switch rather than using the switch to create a trigger signal for a relay).

The switches are in two parts, the left part that is causing you problems and a right part that apparently okay so far. As shown here (the part you need 4D0953513C is the one with the big pink bit on the left)

To get at the the switches, you need to remove the steering wheel (disconnect the power at the battery under the back seat bottom for at least 30 minutes to let the air bag controller capacitor drain down - you will need your radio code to get the radio going again when you reconnect the battery ). Then remove the two Torx (25?) screws that hold the air bag into the steering wheel. Then disconnect the airbag wire connector and set the air bag aside (I always put a piece of electrical tape over the two pins on the air bag, just to be safe). Then mark the position of the steering wheel on the steering column with a Sharpie marker and remove the nut (need 1/2" drive socket). Then pull the steering wheel off the tapered splined steering column shaft. Remove the two column covers (two long Phillips screws using a *narrow* Phillips screw driver, then the two steering column adjustment ***** (might be allen head set screws). At the point you should be able to see the two part switch assembly. Release. Disconnect wiring and remove from car and have at it.

Here are some hints on removing things:

http://12v.org/urs/UrS4SportSteeringWheelConversion.pdf
Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a million, Dave. ECS lists both the Audi part & a Valeo.

Audi C4 S6 Quattro 20v T Lighting Switches - ECS Tuning

So that's the route I will take. Your post will be invaluable in making the "switch."

I was also able to buy a harness & coils, just a few months old from a guy up here who sold his S6--saved some $.

Thanks, Again.

Tom
Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Boston Tom
Thanks a million, Dave. ECS lists both the Audi part & a Valeo. Tom
Looks like ECS must have bought a bunch of those on the Audi close out. I'd go OE if it is still available.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How did you make out?

My headlight won't turn on. My side indicators run but my low and high beams don't function. They will operate in flash to pass.

Turn signals, 4 ways brakes work. Is this almost certainly a switch.

Mfg Part#4D0953513C01C
ECS Part# ES#380379
This looks like it replaces the whole left side assembly. Is this what you ordered and did it fix everything.

Just finished up switching out turbo in my old b5 a4. Wanted to be done working on cars for the rest of the year.....
Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sciroccosven
How did you make out?

My headlight won't turn on. My side indicators run but my low and high beams don't function. They will operate in flash to pass.

Turn signals, 4 ways brakes work. Is this almost certainly a switch.

Mfg Part#4D0953513C01C
ECS Part# ES#380379
This looks like it replaces the whole left side assembly. Is this what you ordered and did it fix everything.

Just finished up switching out turbo in my old b5 a4. Wanted to be done working on cars for the rest of the year.....
In my case, the low beams worked--but they had been converted to HID.
High beams did not work--except one came on with "flash to pass"
Replaced switch & replaced Hi-beams with correct stock wattage & works fine. Fairly costly, though.

TRhanks,

Tom
Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will the A6 assembly work in the s6? Only concern would be the power the headlight run through the switch. There are a couple of parts cars (a6) around that might be worth a call
Old 11-13-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The 4D0953513C light switch is from 1995 to 1997 C4 A6s, A6Qs and S6s. You shouldn't be running more than the stock 55W bulbs thru that switch without a relay. Even then with a relay for the higher wattage incandescent bulbs you have to watch out that you don't melt the reflector due to the resulting heat. Much better to go with after market HID bulbs (and starters), that draw less current that OE bulbs but yet produce more light (and less heat). VVME is one brand that is popular on C4s.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One thing I forgot to mention,

My brake light was flickering on and off on the way home before the headlights went bad. Still doing it. Any relation, any clue as to why?