Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Retrieving ECU Fault codes - Please learn how

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Retrieving ECU Fault codes - Please learn how

Apologies up front if anybody is offended by what follows. I've just lost patience. I had open heart surgery on Nov. 23rd and I don't care if you get upset being told what to do. Call it tough love.

This is a typical statement on this forum:

Originally Posted by "John"
Ideally I would like to read the codes (not sure how useful this is) but I think it would be a good start. Is there anyone in my area who is handy with these cars who could read the codes or alternatively what do people recommend to do this with myself? Don't think it has a standard 16 pin OBD plug?
"John"
Sorry "John" (and others) but many of you need to stop whining about not having the fault codes and take more control of the situation and learn how to retrieve your own ECU fault codes so a) you have a better idea of what the problem is and b) you don't have to rely on anyone else.

First thing that you need to know is where the diagnostic ports are located.

Here is a primer on that:

UrS C4, 200 20VT (3B) and S2/RS2 OBD1 Fault Code access port locations and info:
quattroworld.com Forums: UrS C4, 200 20VT (3B) and S2/RS2 OBD1 Fault Code access port locations and info

Two examples from that post:

There are three main methods of retrieving codes:

1. Blink Codes: Tools required - metal paper clip and the ability to count to 4. Note: admittedly some Euro cars do not have Check Engine Light (CEL) or Malfunction indicator light (MIL) to blink. That said, Paul Nugent posted instructions here how to install a check engine light where there is none:

Welcome to S2 Central
"Technical Data" then "Workshop tools" then "VAG-COM" and then look for "Blink codes"

Here are the instructions for the procedure:
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...f20v.html#fcs4

2. Cheap VW/Audi code reader

Personally, I can't count to 4 so I bought two things off ebay.uk that make me happy:

I bought a U281 VW Audi DTC Memoscanner off ebay.co.uk It arrived within 5 days. The 2 x 2 x OBD2/1 connector adapter cable also purchased separately arrived a day or so later.

These (not to the same scale):

Here is an example of using the U281. Testing and retrieving fault codes:
quattroworld.com Forums: Results of creating some fault codes and the checking with the VW Audi DTC Memoscanner

3. Ross-Tech VCDS Lite:

Requirements - A laptop and a special cable and a software download. Personally I would recommend $99 registered version, not the free ware version. Give the folks who developed the product some money and get better features in return. Be in control.

Ross-Tech: VCDS

Take your pick but please pick one of them and learn how to use it. It will make your life easier and we will be able to help you with your problem much more efficiently.

Sorry. :chit:

Last edited by UrS4boy; 12-31-2015 at 07:39 AM.