Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

R8 vs Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The GT interior has some cool toggle switches & the silver is a nice finish, but you just get a

non-production feel from it. Kind of like maybe you are in a low budget Spyker or some other kind of super low production car. Just does not have the polish of a higher production major manufacture interior. The GT interior is racy (the seats are very interesting), but honestly it is not nearly as slick and nice as the current Viper interior. Not an issue for an aggressive 2nd car, but as a daily driver it is so far from luxurious like I am guessing the R8 feels.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default should be able to sit in either......

i agree with above...completely different cars. I've been in both, but never driven....THe GT...sounds like a beast...raw power, no refinement...the R8 completely opposite...a bit underpowered for its competition, but a very well put together machine that could be used as a daily.....

cruised for a while with the guy in the GT, me in my RS4...the GT sounded like no other car I've been behind....
Old 01-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Re: R8 vs Ford GT

Hopefully I can help you. I've had a 2006 Ford GT for some 6 months, and have an R8 on order (hopefully will get it in 3-6 months). I've never driven an R8, but have sat in 3 different ones.

As far as collectability and lack of depreciation: They stopped making the GT a year or so ago after 4000. With no replacement model from Ford, they are appreciating in value, certainly not depreciating. I am confidant that will remain. On the contrary, I suspect the R8 will eventually depreciate like most sports cars, particularly if Audi makes a V10 version, or even a V12 version, and especially if Audi continues making the R8s for many years to come. People always want the latest sports cars, so older models that are replaced or improved upon typically depreciate when the replacement model comes. Look at Ferraris from 6-10 years ago - typically 1/2 the list price or so. Would favor the GT hands down here.

Driveability - the Ford GT is actually very easy to drive at both low and high speeds. It does not have traction or stability control. I was quite concerned about this at first, especially having no formal driving training. It is afterall 550-600 hp. To my surprise, I really have had no issues in control. I have even taken a high performace school with it. It handles wonderfully at 10mph or 90mph. The GT is much better driving around town than I anticipated. Yes, it is difficult getting in and out because of the door design, but so what. Once you are in, you are in. It has a big blind spot when driving, but I suspect the R8 will too. The GT is amazingly fast on straight aways. It is pretty easily tuned to close to 600hp. Having driven a Ferrari F430 and GT3, the GT is much quicker. The steering and brakes are very responsive and the shifting very smooth. Again, I have not had the privilege to drive an R8. An aquaintance who has driven the R8, loved it. That's as close as I've come.

Comfort- I have sat in 3 R8s, though never driven one. At 6'5" tall, the R8 is more comfortable for me, with more head room. I had to have my seat lowered on the GT about 1 1/2" for more adequate head room (easy to have done by the way). The seats in the R8 are more comfortable for me too as I think they are little wider, and move in more directions. The seat on the GT only goes forward and back, and the back tilts. It does not go up and down. A shorter person may not like it, nor would a very tall person wihtout modifying the seat bottom. The GT has a little more leg room than the R8. Here, I favor the R8

Daily useage possibility- GT has no navigation system, no blue tooth, no backup camera, no traction control, less airbags and less storage space. Would favor the R8.

Exterior Styling - purely subjective. I am surprised at the great responses the GT elicits when parked along side some wonderful other exotics. I've had it next to a Ferrari F430 spider, Porsche GT3, Lambo etc... and most people seem to prefer the GT. It is very masculine. My wife likes it more than she thought she would. I also like the R8 quite a lot too (hence why I ordered one). I think of the GT as more pure muscle and adrenaline, and the R8 as a more refined sports car (perhaps like an Aston Martin is). To each his own.

Interior styling - also quite different. The GT was designed to be quite spartan. There are magnesium alloy dash face, tunnel and door panels. The dash is quite minimalistic with a few toggle switches only. The leather on the seats is a lower grade leather than most European cars, but it's an interesting design seat. The R8 is more refined, and less raw. Lots of switches, buttons, and gadgets. A busier interior, though also quite nice. Again, I think this is a matter of opinion only. The GT is really growing on me with its minimalistic approach.

My conclusions are if you are looking for something to drive fairly regularly, I'd probably get the R8. If you are looking for something that may be more unique, and likely to either appreciate in value or certainly not depreciate, get the GT. Or better yet, get both if you can.....

For more info on the GT, see the best users group website I've encountered on cars : www.fordgtforum.com
Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks all. Decision made.

I decided that even though the Ford is probably a better (or not as bad) investment than the Audi, I would get more seat time in the R8. Now I am number 2 on our dealer's list for a V10 R8, behind a guy who also has a V8 coming in case the V10 will not be made.

Thanks again for the insight. Lets hope they make the V10.