Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Side Assist: System Fault!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Side Assist: System Fault!!

I've Audi A4 2010. Everything was great until I had a local (well-known local certified) electrician install Radar Detector wire ran through rear view mirror. Anyways, that fall and shortened something that my Audi lane assist doesn't work and says Audi Side Assist: System Fault!! Went to Audi dealership and they are saying since some J22 module is short, they have to change it altogether and would cost me $1300+ and ABT (where I got the Radar Detector installed), they've washed their hands from it!!!
I don't want to spend that much money!!! Any cheaper solution. I think it's just some fuse!!
please help
Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

If dealer already diagnosed the problem, they should have provided you with printed list of parts necessary for repair. If not go ask for it. Then tell them you will purchase parts first but will bring car back later for repair. At parts department you can ask for printed diagram of where these parts are located.

My suspicion is that the expensive control module was damaged. Hopefully with diagrams provided by parts department you can determine if it's easily accessible or not. If part is hard to get to that's probably why they are charging so much to change it. Find a local repair shop that works on European cars for a cheaper alternative and take them the parts. Electrical components may have specific procedures required to change that a non experienced shop in European cars will miss and cause more damage.

I was quoted $700 for a repair job at dealer and cost me 150 at local shop. The dealer rate and hours estimated for the repairs are sometimes over inflated, but sometimes justified. You just have to do your due diligence and weigh the risks of dealer vs reputable/non reputable shop.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's brilliant. I'll definately give it a shot
While I was there, I tried so many times to extract some information about that "part" and they just gave me circles... But I'll try this scheme you've laid out. It's worth the shot. However I suspect they'll charge "a lot" for just the part itself!!
I'll keep you posted
Old 08-13-2015, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shunail
That's brilliant.
I'll keep you posted
Thank You.
I tell myself that same thing whenever I look in a mirror. Gotta take every compliment I can get even if it's only my own. Somehow my self esteem still hasn't improved ironically. Huh, Go figure.

Just remember, our cars are "high maintenance" due to all the new electronic gadgets so do your homework on reputable non-dealer service shops or you could end up with worse situation than when you started. Some things I would still take to dealer to avoid mistakes on repairs. But that's personal judgement.

Good luck and hope it all works out.