Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone 6 Plus build with bypass of OEM system

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone 6 Plus build with bypass of OEM system

After much research, I am about to install my new audio system. My goal (since the car is a lease) is to bypass the factory stereo, amp and speakers (only the front door speakers will be replaced). My factory system will serve only for phone calls while my iPhone will be the source unit for audio and navigation. My car is a 2014 Audi A4 with the basic Audi Symphony Stereo. Since this will bypass the factory system it should work for MMI and B&O systems.

For this build my budget was $1500. So far I am slightly under budget with the following items purchased:

Bose Bluetooth Adapter - $60 (Amazon) - There are several other Bluetooth adapters on the market and some specifically designed for car audio (typically much more expensive) but this one can be used with either AC or DC power, pairs up to 8 Bluetooth devices and offers a Toslink Digital output. Moreover, it doesn't drop my signal.

Audison Bit Ten D - $350 pre-owned (eBay) - This was tricky to locate for a good price and you could certainly go with the Audison Bit One for more output channels but found a great deal and it will be a perfect solution to shape the music. Built in DSP, Time alignment and custom equalization. If you can't find one on eBay look at dealers in the UK and Europe. The dollar is strong right now and prices are not too bad. This will connect to the Bluetooth adapter via a digital Toslink cable. The DRC remote will allow me control of the volume and sub level. As an alternative you could buy the Helix DSP but it is more expensive.

Alpine PDX V9 - $300 pre-owned (eBay) - It was a tough choice on which amp to go with. I wanted to keep it simple and use a single 5 channel amp (four channels for active front components and single sub channel). I really wanted the Hertz HDP 5 channel amp but found such a great price on a used Alpine. I may eventually replace the Alpine but it is a solid D class amp that should offer decent power and not drain the factory battery.

Hertz Hi Energy HSK 165 Components - $240 (Audio Dealer in Germany) - I was planning to buy a set of Rainbows but found these for an unbelievably low price. Considering they are normally $400, I was concerned they may be fakes but considering it was a Hertz dealer in Europe I felt it was worth a shot since I could always return them. I will replace the 6.5's in the front doors and install the tweeters in the dash or sail panels (will have to test each location once they are wired up).

Hertz DS250.3 10" Subwoofer - $100 (Local Hertz Dealer) - This is the low end Deici line of Hertz but I am not looking for SPL. I have had good results with JL Audio and RF low end subs in previous installs. It also has a sweet looking grill too.

Build Materials (speaker wire, amp kit and digital cable) $150 (Amazon) - The trunk will house the sub, amp and Bit Ten D. The sub will be rear facing.

I plan to start on this in the upcoming weeks. If you guys have any interest I will post pics of the project.
Attached Images      
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow Up

The system is finally installed and here are my notes:

I scratched the Bose bluetooth idea after successfully taping into the front right and left channel (Left front: red/blue, brown/blue and Right front: red/yellow, brown yellow) using posi taps (an amazing product that requires no wire stripping) into the Audison Bit Ten D (Bit Ten would also work perfectly fine too). The Hertz 6.5 components fit easily into the doors with a mdf ring and a custom cut ring with 5/8" birchwood. It took a little time with the jigsaw but the bolts that were removed from the stock speakers were re-used for mounting the new Hertz. I also used Dynamat lite in the door panels to help with road noise.

As for the rest of the installation, I decided to run all new wires to the tweeter and midrange. unfortunately, my midrange wire is exposed since it was impossible for me to run it through the really small rubber boot but it is matte grey (thanks to Stinger) and is hardly noticeable. The tweeters fit is easily (Hertz includes a bracket that fits perfect into the stock dash location) and new wires were easy to run on inside the side of the dash panel.

The only only issue I had was white noise from the Bit Ten D but I corrected it by resetting it and reducing the input signal from the stereo. After de-equalizing and adjusting the gains properly, the amplified comps produce a little higher level of sound than the stock rear speakers. I have faded 90% to the front (minimal rear fill) and can fade to back when I have rear seat passengers.

So how does it sound? In one word... Amazing!! Crisp, clean, balanced sound stage and with the audison time delay it sounds like the music is coming from center right above the dash. Highly recommend the bit ten to everyone!
Attached Images     

Last edited by yourpalcal; 03-24-2016 at 07:54 AM.