Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Scheduled MMI 3G Map Update ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Scheduled MMI 3G Map Update ...

We just got a used 2010 Q5 Premium Plus, looks like the map had never been updated, and being that old I'm sure I'm missing some of the street work that has been done in the Bay Area the last few years

From what I can gather $344.88 seems like a good price. I'm unfortunately one of those IT guys that gets agitated when things are not up to date, so I get to spend more money for it .

I also noticed that I can't seem to get the Sirius Radio pulled up. The SirrusXM website says that it should have the Sirius radio based on the VIN, and I seem to remember the Sat radio being listed as one of the features when I first looked at the car online too. I've heard that there are sometimes issues with it and an MMI firmware update usually gets it going again (I would be interested in traffic only). I also gathered from some of the posts here that the map update requires a firmware update at the same time but I wanted to ask here just in case it's a separate issue.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Sirius radio and Sirius Traffic require separate subscriptions. If your car is equipped with Sirius radio, you would see at least the Sirius demo channel after selecting it by pressing the Radio Band function a couple of times (past AM and FM). Traffic would be an overlay on your standard map showing green, orange and red lines outside of major highways in metro areas.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is MMI so there is no Band button, I have to hit radio, go to the submenu Band and look at the list, I see AM FM, but no Sat. I just talked to them a second time today and they confirmed it "should" have Sirius, he put it on the list of things to verify on Thursday, he did confirm that the map update does come with a Firmware update, but was unsure if it was an update that might fix anything.

Does anyone here know if the firmware update that comes with the maps is also a functional update, that might fix the Sirrius issue?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay got the car back, There was a problem getting the Sirius radio to show up which they troubleshot for like three hours. Kudos to them for not giving up on that. They didn't even charge me extra, however I'm looking at the Setup->Settings and the Software Version: has a new string, but the Nav. database version: is still 8R0060884F_NAR 3.5.4. Does that number stay the same as like a base install version (That was the line the tech gave me) I'm having trouble trying to find a street that has changed since 2010. I'm worried the map didn't get updated.

They certainly added the map data to the system, they would up having to do like three firmware updates to get the Sat Radio back.'

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jcanon
Okay got the car back, There was a problem getting the Sirius radio to show up which they troubleshot for like three hours. Kudos to them for not giving up on that. They didn't even charge me extra, however I'm looking at the Setup->Settings and the Software Version: has a new string, but the Nav. database version: is still 8R0060884F_NAR 3.5.4. Does that number stay the same as like a base install version (That was the line the tech gave me) I'm having trouble trying to find a street that has changed since 2010. I'm worried the map didn't get updated.

They certainly added the map data to the system, they would up having to do like three firmware updates to get the Sat Radio back.'

Any help would be appreciated.
It appears the Nav update they did, did not 'take'.

In order, they first need to update your firmware to HNav_US_K0133, then they needed to update the maps to: 8R0-060-884-CA map 6.10.2, then they needed to activate the maps.

So I'd drive back to the dealer and actually tell them to do what you paid them to do.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great, I don't have enough time before we leave on a road trip so I'll have to address when we get back, the firmware version is HNav_US_K0133_3_D1 so that part I think is okay.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay I have some time now to describe as well as I can about what happened.

I took the car in to get the map updated I also mentioned that the Sat radio didn't show up. They claimed they updated the map, which I believe they did, and activated it. When I asked about the radio, they took it back in to take a look. Long story short and after they talked to Audi Tech, they wound up installing two firmware updates. In addition to the firmware update that comes with the map. However the two Sat radio firmware updates were "after" they were done updating the map.

Is it possible that they somehow reverted the map update by doing the sat radio firmware updates? I only ask because they explained exactly how the map update process works and it match the research I had done on these boards. I have no reason to believe that the didn't know what they were doing. That's the only thing I can think of.

Perhaps all of this is academic anyway as something went wrong. I found an overpass that was finished in 2013 and took Google Earth screen grabs from 2010 where it was not started yet and 2013 when it was finished. The Navigation map depiction in the car is clearly the version from 2010, and I would think that by the 2014/2015 version would have that update.

Perhaps I just need to rant a little. On the plus side I did get TMC traffic running on the now working Sat radio. At least that will work for our trip.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealership has reprocessed the updated, and I now indeed have version 6.10.2 (I'm hoping that's the newest). In any case some street changes I know should take place have indeed showed up now.

It was pretty strange series of events though. During the first update, it only took around 45 min. Then they addressed the Sat radio issue as a courtesy which took around another hour (We didn't buy the car from them by the way). After around like three firmware updates it did finally start working. However I was running out of time and was not able to thoroughly check the nav update before leaving, even if I did find a problem, I wouldn't have been able to stay.

This second visit, the update took a lot longer, like two hours for the map only. They are now suggesting that the first updated may have failed outright, however due to the combination that I had limited time and both they and I were trying to get out the door it probably wasn't verified like it should have been. But they are also not sure that the update didn't take and fixing the sat radio was the reason it got reverted. They admitted that they really didn't know what happened the first time.

I'm more inclined to appreciate their honesty than to be upset I had to go back. They do not do many of these map updates since people are not inclined to pay that much for them. However I'm just curious as to what others out there think may have happened, so if I elect to update in the future, I'll know what to watch out for.

Thanks