Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music Files on SD Card - Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music Files on SD Card - Not Working

Let me preface this post with an acknowledgment that I have read as many SD card posts as I could and still cannot get my SD card to function. I have a A8L. I am using a PNY64g SD card. At first I just dragged the music files (Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums for you curious types) to the SD. Unreadable in the car. I then dragged them from my ITunes as suggested. Unreadable. (My usb drive works fine, a simple drag and drop to them worked).

I have windows 7. How do I move my music to my SD card? Is there a limit on the number of songs per card? (Conflicting posts). Some posts mention copying the entire file path to the SD card. How do I do that? Is that the answer?

Great site. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have somewhat of the same issue. I loaded songs on my SD card and first issue was the copyright protection block. The songs are from CD's I purchased, but Window Media Player doesn't know that. To get around the problem I ripped the songs with ITunes then copies to my SD card. The song format is MPEG-4 instead of WMA and play fine on my S4. Problem is some of the songs will not play on my Q5. I get a bad track error. I do not understand why the same SD card will play all songs on the S4 and not the Q5.

So are your songs from one album in that album folder? Since you copied from ITunes are they MEG-4 format?

The error message is just cannot read SD card? Can you play the songs on your computer directly from the SD card?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It took me this long to figure this out, but problem solved. The 2013 Q5 SD player will only play MP3 files reliably as compared to MP4 songs. MP4 songs will play sometimes. Once I converted the albums that had error files from MP4 to MP3 the issue went away.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You guys don't have SD cards. At 64GB, you have an SDXC card.
SD=up to 2GB
SDHD=up to 32GB
SDXC=up to two terabyte, although I think 256GB is the largest now available.

The problem is that the base Audi AMI radio (not the MMI) at least in my 2014 Q5, can only read SD and SDHD cards. An SDXC may be formatted differently, in a way the base radio cannot read. An SDXC is also too big for the base player to read, in my case, it will show and play ONLY the tunes that are in the first 32GB address space. The rest doesn't exist to the AMI radio. (The optional upgrade radio/nav/MMI systems may be more versatile.)

So not knowing which specific radios you have, or what their limits are (and Audi-US is nearly clueless about these things)...caveat emptor, most Audi radios are following a standard (SDHC) that has been obsolete for six years now.

Fortunately, the USB interface in the glove box (the AMI port) is able to handle these things, with 128GB USB sticks no problem. The limited formats...what can you say, those can be worked around.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Audi is way behind in technology. They should upgrade their ic to allow us to play FLAC and DSD files
Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh, Reggie, they could never do that. If they supported FLAC, we might all realize how little bass the sub(hahahaha)woofer really could handle, and then they might have to...hmmm....use a stereo that was worthy of a $50,000 car?

Does Audi anywhere actually express a claim for the frequency response of the different systems, AMI vs MMI? Something showing db rolloff and flatness for the entire system?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

New owner of 2015 Q5 TDI
Trying to put Apple Lossless files directly on SDHC card and importing in Jukebox. MMI says file damaged. After hours of reading internet posts and to summarize what I read:

MMI only will take mp3 file up to a bite rate of? 256? 320? (protected purchased iTunes files cannot be up converted-I don't have iTunes Match)

If so, kind of a iTunes question, how to export & convert my high quality lossless files to the SDHC card (I don't want duplicate files in my iTunes)?

How big is the hard drive-it should be able to handle thousands of 256k titles I assume. Disappointing it can't import CD quality files for my B&O system.
Thanks,
New Audi guy
Old 04-01-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd have to pull the USB stick and check, but the base AMI system which will be different from the MMI system, takes VBR-2 .MP3 files, which are equal to or damn near CD quality when played to older ears over the background of ambient road noise. I'd have to check the bitrate I allowed for them but I know it is at least 256k.

Also bearing in mind, the SDHC channel and the USB channel have totally different restrictions on them in the 2014 AMI, and probably in the 2015 MMI as well. You might try grabbing a USB stick, getting a cable that allows you to plug it in, and seeing if you can play what you want via the USB option.

I just use the SDHC for audiobooks.