Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
vSee related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SD Card and MMI

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rasitha
Hi, the issue I have is that some songs (can't find any logical pattern) are greyed out. Not just from playlist, but when I go into the artist folder as well. My understanding is that SD card has no permission issue, so if I purchased in iTunes under my UK or US account, it should still work. I am using a 2015 / Q5. Any ideas?
thanks in advance
If you have any older purchased songs that show as "Protected AAC" file types in iTunes, they will not play if copied.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jbschuyler

Give the playlists a few minutes (maybe up to 20?) I remember having that problem too and then went I went back to it, it was no longer greyed out. I think the Audi MMI takes some time to index everything on the SD card or something.

Also, if you have a 2010 I found that trying to put more than 2000 songs on an SD card seemed to cause trouble. Once I went below that number, things worked better and more quickly.

I hope that helps!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Vincenz0!

I did try again and used your advice to limit the number of songs. It appeared that I had a breakthrough in that my two playlists on my SD card were recognized by the MMI system and were no longer grayed out. Once I selected them though, MMI said that there no playable tracks on the list.

It is possible that my path settings need an adjustment. Here is a screenshot of the Path Find/Replace setting from Playlist Export. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

John

Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't do anything with my paths. Here are my settings:

Old 04-07-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Vincenz0,

I tried again with your above settings, and it worked!! I did have to wait 10 plus minutes, I think for the Playlist folder to un-gray. But once it did I had functioning playlists. I did end up with two playlists that do not work though. They are not my longest lists either, so maybe there are songs within with problematic characters, not sure but will keep testing. In the meantime I am off and running with the ones that do work.

Thanks again for your help!

Best Regards,

John
Old 04-09-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

@jbschuyler -

AWESOME! Glad to know that it worked out. It's a little finicky but glad that it worked. Mine also took about 10 minutes or so the first time I loaded in the card in my 2010 S4. I haven't tried in my wife's 2014 Q5 since she had an ipod connected instead, but I think the song limits were increased in later versions.

Speaking of which, I really need to update the music on my card!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

After a quick search on google I found these:

FAT32
Maximum disk size: 2 terabytes
Maximum file size: 4 gigabytes
Maximum number of files on disk: 268,435,437
Maximum number of files in a single folder: 65,534

The use of long file names can significantly reduce the number of available files and subfolders within a folder
FAT32: There is a difference between the root directory and sub-directories. The root has certain limitations.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have a A6 2011, and i have this situation:

If i insert a sd card with video files mp4, it only say, wait..... i have to do a RESET to MMI, system reboot, and only play the firs track in the SD CARD (only Audio)

any help?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SD Card Restart?

Thanks for all the help in this thread!

I bought a 128gb Sandisk Ultra SDXC and started filling it with songs without even considering it might not be formatted correctly.

3,000 songs or so later it just worked straight off. Quite impressed!

However, I did notice that when I got out of the car (for 10 mins max) and then came back to it, it started again at the first song on the memory card. Does it really not resume where it left off?

Incidentally, I accidentally copied some video files ("bought" free from iTunes) and these just worked also (the picture was blanked out while moving but I got the sound, and then the picture came back once stopped).

Currently adding a lot more songs to see what I can do with it (I have over 20,000 songs - wonder if it will handle that!)

I can't see any limits on songs or sizes of SD cards in my MMI manual.

cheers
M
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Further Findings - Hard Limit on number of songs

So I have had a bit more of a play with this.

It turns out that my 100GB of music as reported by iTunes actually translates to more like 130GB on a disk (I have iTunes Match so I guess the 100GB is as AAC and I have converted all songs to MP3 - hence they take up more space now). So I won't quite be able to fit them all on a single 128GB SD card.

I am still busy converting them all so I currently have 19,063 songs on the card apparently within 1,858 folders. It is about 88.6GB of music so far (about another 4,000 songs to go I think)

I stuck the card in and it took around about 10 minutes to read everything and sort it all out (whilst playing the first song on the card). I could still browse by folders (everything I have is sorted into Genre/Artist/Album folder) and actually I will continue to use this seeing as the MMI doesn't seem to know the difference between Artist and Album Artist (so I have loads of Artists with individual songs that are actually from compilation albums like Now 82 etc).

The MMI does seem to care too much about the number of folders (all folders are accessible) but does seem to have some kind of hard-limit on the total number of songs. Anything beyond the Pop Genre, Various Artists folder, Now Thats What I call Running is not accessible. The folders are all there (both in the Browse Folders and the Browse Genre sections) but when going into them, it says that there are no playable items in the folder.

It seems to be the order I put them on to the card that is important (as the Disco folder was put on last and I can't see anything in there other than empty folders).

The limit seems to be somewhere around the 13,847 songs number. Although I notice on the dash song selector if I spin the selector fast, it seems to suggest that there are 9,997 songs available. So I may have got my counting wrong (it is tricky to tell in the MMI screens).

I could buy another SD card (the 128GB one was only £30 from Amazon and I could probably get away with a 64GB one for £17) but I think for now I will be a bit more selective (getting rid of my wife's Musicals folder will be a good start!) and see how we go with the single card.

Does anyone know what the current hard limits on numbers of songs etc might be (I can't find anything about it in the manuals)?

Also, I had to get out of the car several times after it had finished processing and each time it restarted from the track I was on previously. So it does resume (not sure what happened the first time I tried this as it definitely did not resume then!)

Many thanks
Mark

Originally Posted by surfymark
Thanks for all the help in this thread!

I bought a 128gb Sandisk Ultra SDXC and started filling it with songs without even considering it might not be formatted correctly.

3,000 songs or so later it just worked straight off. Quite impressed!

However, I did notice that when I got out of the car (for 10 mins max) and then came back to it, it started again at the first song on the memory card. Does it really not resume where it left off?

Incidentally, I accidentally copied some video files ("bought" free from iTunes) and these just worked also (the picture was blanked out while moving but I got the sound, and then the picture came back once stopped).

Currently adding a lot more songs to see what I can do with it (I have over 20,000 songs - wonder if it will handle that!)

I can't see any limits on songs or sizes of SD cards in my MMI manual.

cheers
M

Quick Reply: SD Card and MMI