Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping Audi from US to Europe: issues with MMI/NAV

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Audi from US to Europe: issues with MMI/NAV

Am considering to ship an Audi Q7 from the US to Europe, and understand there will be issues with getting things like Audi Connect or the Navigation system to work in Europe. For example because of different factory programming needed and/or different SIM card.

How difficult is it to get the MMI/NAV and all that to work in Europe? Isn't it just a matter of running a software update and installing a European SIM card?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks! Mark
Old 02-10-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You pretty much gonna have to replace the US head unit with a European head unit. The US head unit hardware is different. For example the US unit has sat radio and HD radio receivers, where as the European unit has a DAB receiver and no sat radio. You can't load European maps onto US firmware either, and the European firmware won't run on US hardware because of the hardware differences. The US hardware also doesn't work with international SIM cards. This is the reason why if you do European delivery, Audi gives you a portable GPS.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Superswiss,

Thanks a lot for your response, very helpful!

So basically, it comes down to replacing the whole unit.

Any idea of how much that would cost? Rough estimate is fine.

Thanks! Mark
Old 02-11-2015, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Not sure about the cost. I did a bit of Googling and I found some postings where it looks like it can be done just with software, at least on older MMIs. Not sure what year your Q7 is.

I also found these guys. I would say it's worth contacting them.

Audi MMI USA to EU conversion - mmirepair.com
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Superswiss, all my questions answered, I contacted MMIRepair.
Stuff can be adjusted to be European incl. NAV. Probably only software-wise, but tbd as the 2015 Q7 will have a new MMI. Software adjustment today costs ~750 euros.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Do the headlights have to be replaced???
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
You pretty much gonna have to replace the US head unit with a European head unit. The US head unit hardware is different. For example the US unit has sat radio and HD radio receivers, where as the European unit has a DAB receiver and no sat radio. You can't load European maps onto US firmware either, and the European firmware won't run on US hardware because of the hardware differences. The US hardware also doesn't work with international SIM cards. This is the reason why if you do European delivery, Audi gives you a portable GPS.
Actually you can convert a 3G+ from US to EU. The basics are the same: Region conversion, Firmware update, new Maps, navigation activation (requires FSC codes)...obviously, there are some steps in-between, but that's about it. There are a number of folks I know which offer the service for about 200-300 euros and can get the car setup for EU.

Also,, I believe your headlights will require changing as well.

Take a look at the attached doc, for an explanation on how to change the region.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MMI 3G Region Conversion.pdf (181.1 KB, 2460 views)
Old 08-24-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello, you seem very knowledgeable, and I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction. I want to bring my 2012 S4 with me when I move to Italy.
- What mods besides MMI and lights need to be done and where's the best place to go to get it done?
- Where can I get all the information I will need?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Right hand traffic to right hand traffic, only thing you have to change or do, is adding front light washer system (required on europe with xenon lights).
to get europe navigation and radio ( + 2-4-6-8 ) navigation unit, multimedia unit, has to be changed, control unit coded, component protection removed and activated (last one only with new mmi 3g+).

Speedo you can already put to km/h (center speed display), just hang around in mmi setup, measuring units.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much RKsilver for your quick reply. As this is a Canadian car it already has KMs.
MMI and Nav seem to be the biggies, though I have also heard that mirrors and brake lights need to be switched over, and there may be a requirement to install a rear fog light, but it is very hard to verify any of this information!
Thanks again
D

Quick Reply: Shipping Audi from US to Europe: issues with MMI/NAV