Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

How to clean/polish rims with years of brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean/polish rims with years of brake dust

Hey guys, i got to take a video of me restoring neglected rims, video shows step by step procedure i take. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think your process is good. But I'm not seeing 'years of brake dust' and neglect in your shots..

Wheels need to be cleaned weekly unless the car isn't driven. That will mostly preclude future heroic efforts.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I think your process is good. But I'm not seeing 'years of brake dust' and neglect in your shots..

Wheels need to be cleaned weekly unless the car isn't driven. That will mostly preclude future heroic efforts.
Thanks, it might LOOK like these rims dont have years of brake dust build but these rims were in really bad condition. I have done this on a few other rims and this one by far was the worst. These rims were so bad that for each section of the rim i had to do a total of 3 passes (spray,agitate,clean) i divided the rim into 2 and a half sections. So in total the rims got over 6 passes.... If that doesnt convince you, the brake dust was on there so bad that deep in the spokes the paint actually gave out before the brake dust did... And im using a ph cleaner. What convinces people that the rims arent that "bad" is when the rims get wet it turns a shiny black and covers all the brown that you saw in the before pics, but in reality all that brake dust is still there.