Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Permaplate question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Permaplate question

So this stuff came on the car and I said, what the hell, couldn't hurt... But I don't think it does anything. I have paint protection only, and every time it rains the water spots get like baked on and I can't remove them. I've had to go to the dealer to have them removed. Permaplate website is very vague, but hints at the fact that the product protects against water spots but at the same time says to remove them at once.

"Park wisely. Try not to park next to sprinklers, under trees or near construction sites. Water spots, bird droppings, tree sap, and leaves can be highly acidic and should be removed immediately if found on the surface. "

And

So shouldn't I at least be able to remove simple rain water spots and be getting some kind of protection from them?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know about this "Permaplate" but there are reputable paint protection products like Opti-Coat, CQuarts and Modesto that do not exhibit that problem - water rolls off easily and leaves not spots. You might want to consider having that stuff removed and replacing with better quality product. I've had Opti-coat Pro for almost four years, added their Plus layer last summer and love it - no water spot and no waxing needed.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just thought it was weird to have rain spots like burnt into the paint - hood only - when the point of the permaplate is to protect the paint. i didn't pay for it unless it was bundled in w/ the 1100 i paid for the wheel protection. i've just never had a problem getting rid of rain spots before. maybe bc the car is black, they got baked on, but why just the hood??? who knows... have only had 1 black car before and it used, not all shine and new. maybe this will stop, or not be as noticeable, once it gets a little more used