Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Removing previous touch up paint??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing previous touch up paint??

This was actually on my wife's car. She had done some touch up paint and put blobs of it on. It looks terrible. Like a bump in the paint! I'd really like to remove the paint she put on the car and make it look better. I saw something online that said to do the steps below.

Has anyone done this before and does it work? I have never done something like this and wouldn't want to make the paint worse...

1 - dab some paint thinner on to a clean soft cloth.
2 - rub gently over the paint blobs [car should be clean]. I have also used cotton swabs instead of a cloth
3 - the touch up paint will be removed [I have seen it remove touch up paint that is up to a year old]
4 - the original factory paint/clear coat will not be effected. It is too hard and is baked on [this assumes your car still has the original factory paint]
5 - wash down any area that had come in contact with thinner well. Discard or wash cloth
6 - make sure area to be painted is dry and clean
7 - apply the factory touch up paint carefully. I use a very fine brush or a tooth pick - never the paint brush that forms part of the lid for the touch up paint. This may take several applications to build up the paint to a little over the existing factory paint level
8 - then follow Langka instructions
9 - give area a good buff with Scratch X
10 - give the whole car a good coat of NXT, with extra focus in areas touched up [the choice of wax is up to you]