Clever Customs Tricks and a T.O. S4 role call

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clever Customs Tricks and a T.O. S4 role call

How are most people getting their mods in Canada? If you're getting them delivered from the US, what is the standard 'paper pushing/brokerage/customs a$$ raping' percentage that is taken at the border?

And...

It's time for a GTA S4 role call. Stand up and be counted.

--RGL
Old 07-26-2002, 07:47 AM

Default Get them to ship USPS

I've had a few items delivered via USPS and didn't pay anything. Avoid UPS. They'll rape you on their brokerage fees. Also, if possible, get the item marked "Warranty Replacement" or even "used car part". I know warranty replacements will not get charged duties and taxes. Not too sure about the latter.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:00 AM

Default 2001 Silver in Toronto...more on shipping

I bought a used Giac chip last week for $700 us...the UPS fee was $300 on delivery....sickening.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:18 AM

Default 2001 Santourin

And I've got an APR ECU for sale....anyone want? I've already paid the damn duties and fees! It's for a 2000 6-speed manual only ('A' box).

CHEAP compared to what you're gonna pay new. And it's got 8000 Km on it. Verifiable by my dealership.

let me know

grewaas@mcmaster.ca
Old 07-26-2002, 09:50 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Use USPS or FedEx, NOT UPS. UPS bends you pretty bad.

See if the vendor will write warranty repair or something or downvalue the product and send the real receipt later. I've "heard" these methods work very well.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree that UPS sucks

I try to avoid them. The best bet if you know anybody in the States is ship it there and drive to get it, or even have it installed down there. For parts from Stratmosphere, for instance, it's a 2 hour drive to Rochester from TO.

And, oh ya, I drive a '00 S4. Probably one of the only US spec S4's in Canada. Can you say "fog lights"??? :-)
Old 07-26-2002, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If using UPS, ship by air. No brokerage fees. Only duty&tax. (more)

I just got off the phone with UPS discussing this very issue. With UPS Air, the brokerage is built in to the cost (but still cheaper), with UPS Ground you pay lots of brokerage.

Shipping USPS is a much better option though.

Also, if possible, try to have the part shipped with a merchant invoice stating that the product is a _warranty_ repair item, then there is no duty or tax. Make it clear the item was shipped into the US for repair, and that it's being returned to you now.

Also, declaring a value of <$20CDN, or declaring it a gift with a value of <$60CDN will also avoid brokerage. When shipping something to the US, they get the benefit of no tax/duty/brokerage on anything <$200USD. So much for NAFTA

I had UPS screw up a delivery, it was supposed to be COD for the duty/tax/brokerage $$ but they didn't tell the driver I guess They invoiced me for the costs later. I called them, told them flat out that I would not pay it and that I had no contractual obligation to do so (since I wasn't the shipper), so please stop sending me invoices. They credited me the brokerage $$ back, since they realized they had screwed up and had no leverage at that point. They are rather nice people on the phone, call them if you have any questions about how to avoid their fees
Old 07-26-2002, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Whoa, you got bent over man.

You should call them and sort that out, that's ridiculous.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:13 AM

Default I still can't sit down

I exchanged emails with them many times and they lay it out like its normal....never again
Old 07-29-2002, 05:49 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Can you say....

insufficient IC air flow? ;-)

Quick Reply: Clever Customs Tricks and a T.O. S4 role call