Got a summons to court driving under a suspended license

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that is why he didnt get it...

that one would not stand in the court. The cop does not ahve the expertise to prove that kind of ticket in the court...
Old 03-27-2005, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 18 front plate tickets, and you're screaming discrimination at having the book thrown at you????

Priceless.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 19 including this one...thats not the point

point is i pay the fines, these are non-moving traffic violations, like a parking ticket.

if you had 18 parking tickets in variuos places, does it make sense if they get fed up the 19th time and tow your car when it is common practice to get a ticket?

if you had 18 tint tickets, and you have been paying them, would it make sense if they towed your car and suspended your license?

i can understand with speeding, careless driving, etc....i believe it is the governments understanding as well, which is why we have the point system for speeding/seatbelt/careless.... but we dont have points for stuff like no-front plate for a reason!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:41 PM

Default same happened to me

you are considered served and notified on the seen so I don't think that the suspended thing will stick.
the original ticket and will have to be paid and you will have to pay for a new liscence. I think it was $100. It's a long story about the situation. That OPP was an ****&^^& and I made a complaint (needless to say didn't get far)/
Old 03-27-2005, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default really? care to elaborate more on how you were able to get rid of the

driving under suspension ticket?
Old 03-27-2005, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default exactly

I really feel for you, man, best of luck fighting it...
Old 03-27-2005, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default and where does it say that you can drive the car without a plate on both doors and the roof?

I'm not trying to prove anything -- I just want someone to show me an official document where it explicitly states that cars in Ontario are required to display a front number plate.

This should be very simple.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "prescribed"

By whom and where? Vague language leaves a lot of room for interpretation by the cops, and maybe some wiggle room for you in the courts.

Unless, of course, someone can show some official regulation which defines this "prescribed" manner.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:31 PM

Default As unfortunate as it sounds, your fight is now with the courts. The

cop is now out of the picture. He (she) can no longer hurt you or help you (other than not showing up at trial). The facts as they stand are that you've been charged with several offences (some serious, some not so serious).

The first thing I would do is go and ask for a First Attendence. You ask for this at the same place where you ask for a trial. A First Attendence is where you sit down with the prosecutor and basically tell your story and ask to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Most of the prosecutors are angry women but it is worth a try because there is no downside to you (you can always go to trial if you don't like the deal you get).

While the deal you offer is up to you, my advice would be to offer to plead guilty to the smaller bs tickets (like the no front plate) and ask to have the big ticket (driving on a suspended license) dropped.

If the prosecutor blows you off, then you can go to trial. Pay the $1500 to get a lawyer because it is a serious charge and not worth having on your record for 3 years. Since all the traffic lawyers know all the prosecutors, you may get lucky at trial and the prosecutor will allow to plead to a lesser charge.

If you go to trial, ask for full disclosure (ie. the cops notes, a copy of the supposed letter that was sent to you notifying you about your original ticket that led to your suspension, proof that the letter was in fact sent, etc, etc.)

Good luck. I had a nasty experience with a cop once and thought I was doomed. In the end, I won so don't give up.

--RGL
Old 03-27-2005, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am with Oggie on the last sentence... Amir, you seriously have to think about having a front plate

now. Atleast have them mounted with two strips of 3M tape...a lot of folks do it and they have held up very well. With your age and past record of the same offence you are in a very difficult predicament. There is some very good advice in this thread, you need to fight with an attorney as much as you can and hope for a more lenient punishment.

Once again, good luck.

Quick Reply: Got a summons to court driving under a suspended license