Poll: Aside from hemants and the dealers, who here enjoys the car-purchase experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A rule that succesfull salespeople always follow ...

never quote anything less than MSRP, weather you're talking to someone by phone or in person. Anyone that drops the price is setting up themselves to get shopped.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't care for it... I don't "haggle" well....
Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agreed. The customers who got the largest discounts were least loyal and the most work.

They would want the same deal or even lower for their friends and family, not realizing that they really were an exception, and the dealer needed to make it back up on somebody.

Offering the lowest price is the way to win only one kind of customer, and they aren't worth it unless you've got nothing else happening at the moment. I've sent many a shopper packing, not willing to waste my time and the aggravation that comes with grinders. Fortunately SoCal has plenty of people - some of whom who were willing to pay for good service.

"I'm sorry sir, but it appears you are not done shopping. I would be delighted if you would come back to me with the lowest written offer from another <i>dealer</i> when you are ready to puchase."
Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Default A question to all of you..

I'm not a car sales person but i can honestly understand Alex and his points.. and frankly it's only fair..
At the end of the day all of us come to a point where we service a customer.. so its all about the extra service and weather they would be the higher price..
Things are not for free anymore.. people have to get some sort of monetary reward..

Nevertheless, a question to all of us.. why is it that we (the consumer) never likes the price we get offered when we trade in a car or whatever..
i.e. black book value prices etc..
we really dont.. so we look to get more money so we can make a bit more..
same with the dealers..

anyway tahts just my 2c at 12+ am lol
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You are talking about the Walmart crowd ;-)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

What the heck are they doing in an Audi dealer then! It really doesn't look like a WalMart..;-)
Old 12-13-2006, 02:32 AM

Cuz they want an Audi. Even I shop at Wal-Mart, even though I despise the place.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:40 AM

Default I am most loyal to the salespeople that have given me good deals on price.

Let's face it; if I felt like I had been ripped off, I wouldn't go back.

If I felt like I got sticker price, then <i>next time</i> I'd look for better than sticker price elsewhere.

If I felt like I got a fair deal and was treated well, I'd probably go back.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've had mix experience...

When I bought my 1st A4 in 2000 (my 6th car), I worked with a fellow that was absolutly just great. Very similar to how Alex is describing the relationship he has with his customers. Unfortunatly he moved on to a Porsche dealership and truth be told, when I get to that point, I will definatly be giving him a call. For the record, I did not even negotiate on the price at all.

Having loss this releationship, for the time being, I had to establish a new relationship with another sales rep and thought that everyone at that dealership would be from the same mold. Not so, I was treated very badly from unkept promises and lies I felt cheated.

Some have talked about how management is reflected through their employees, well I guess in this case, it cannot be closer to the truth and I suppose his behaviour and respect was not that of management and he decided to move on. Or maybe he just wanted to sell Porsches!!!) I wish some of his customer attention could have been passed on to management and to the other reps.

This is why I am now going out of my way to buy my next A4, starting with an out of province flight. It pains me to actually buy the car at a different dealership than I'll get most of my service but I have lost all trust in the people that I initially started the relationship.

Alex has given us some examples of people that shop to all dealership to try to get the lowest price as possible with their spreadsheet in hand. In my case, and I suppose in some others, the reason for shopping around is to find that special representative that will go the extra mile and treat you the way you expect to be treated.

I am getting a little older (and wiser I hope) and short of getting screwed, I'm willing to pay the price for the service I get. And this might include some inconveniences but in the end well worth it.

So yes I enjoy meeting friendly individuals, eh, I mean shopping for cars!
Great reading everyone's thought on the subject.

Quick Reply: Poll: Aside from hemants and the dealers, who here enjoys the car-purchase experience?