Will these all-season tires be ok in the winter in Southern Ontario?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these all-season tires be ok in the winter in Southern Ontario?

I recently ordered an Audi A7 with the S-line package which comes with 20 inch wheels and summer performance tires. I have summer tires and wheels now on my Acura and have grown tired of changing out the summer/winter wheels twice a year. Other than the look, I don't notice that much of a difference. I want to change out the summer only performance tires for all-season tires (specifically 265/35ZR-20 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS XL – exact same size as the summer ones). This tire is called a high performance all season tire. Can I get away with those tires year round?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerrymcd
Can I get away with those tires year round?
Maybe. It depends on how much snow you get and when you have to drive. All Season tires can handle some light snow. If you're a working person and have to get to the job daily, get a dedicated set of snows. If you're retired and can sit home when the storms hit, use the all seasons.

Any snow tire is better than the best all season tire in the snow.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I used the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on 19s for my S4 as my daily driver here in Chicago for 2 winters. They worked well in the snow, no accidents to speak of. I had a set of winter tires (Dunlop WinterSport 3D) and switched over the DWS for the same reason of not wanting the hassle of swaps plus I bent a winter rim in a pothole. Overall, the all seasons worked ok, definitely not as good as dedicated winter tires but ok.

My incoming S7 has 20inch summer tires. I am leaning towards getting dedicated winter/snow tires.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great question...

… no doubt that all-season tires are improving, but I have always been a fan of dedicated severe service snow tires for the winter. Your car is expensive and heavy. You will go through multiple sets of tires in its lifetime. Therefor, the total net cost of dedicated snow tires will be just the winter wheels upon which they are mounted. My experience with these tires (noted by the mountain snowflake logo) has been fantastic. I have used Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin Alpins (sic), Nokian Hakka's - all with the block and micro-siping technologies that make them nearly unstoppable. Even before my Audi's, I had Saab Aero's that were FWD - they were mountain goats in the snow. I have always has a 4x4 truck as well, but left it parked if the snow was not too deep.

Although my signature says LA, I spent 40 years in Boston and have kin in Kitchener, so know your area well. My suggestion is to go with -1 or -2 sizing and you will be a happy camper...

Happy Motoring

Eric

PS - I am still new to LA and find it weird that I don't have a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels stacked in my garage

Last edited by eric strauss; 07-05-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerrymcd
I recently ordered an Audi A7 with the S-line package which comes with 20 inch wheels and summer performance tires. I have summer tires and wheels now on my Acura and have grown tired of changing out the summer/winter wheels twice a year. Other than the look, I don't notice that much of a difference. I want to change out the summer only performance tires for all-season tires (specifically 265/35ZR-20 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS XL – exact same size as the summer ones). This tire is called a high performance all season tire. Can I get away with those tires year round?
Opinions vary of course, mine (having tried every combination) is you would be wasting your money buying high performance all season 20s.

Buy dedicated Winter wheels and tires (smaller than 20s) or plan to leave it in the garage at even a hint of snow.
You would hate yourself when you slide that beautiful machine into a crash.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok. decided to purchase dedicated winter tires come the fall. Thought about driving with the wife and child in the car in the middle of January and now it's a no-brainer. Thanks to all the chimed in.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Even in Oakville you'll run into major snow days or cold, icy roads. Fulltime snows make a world of difference over all seasons in control and staying out the ditch!

Look around on kijiji. I got a set of Audi rims with centre caps & a very lightly used set of Gislavad Nordforst 5's for a good price.... actually in Bronte. Came with a set of those Audi tire covers too.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll never own a car without dedicated winter tires. Anything below 7-8 celcius and it makes a difference. In snow and ice a massive difference. I have the Conti Extreme DWS on my S8 as my summer rubber. Not a fan, I'll be going back to Michelin PSS next.

My winter tires on my S8 are Dunlop Wintersport 3D. Not too bad, but not nearly as good as the hakkapeliitta suv r2 on my wifes MKT AWD. I'll be looking at a set of hakkas for my Audi next. I hope if they make them in 275/35/20 LOL

I bought my tires at Extreme Tire by Lakeshore in Mississauga near Port Credit.
Tire Sales in Mississauga | Xtreme TIre Garage

I used to deal with Simply Tire, also awesome
SimplyTire Inc. - Your cars destination for Wheels and Tires