New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

PPI in Natick, MA

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome. You should head over to the A6 C7 forum where you will find owners willing to help and share info.

It could be as simple as a wheel balance or a bad tire. It happens. I've had my share of out of round tires over the years. Easy way to tell - have it checked on a Hunter Force balancer. The machine can tell if it's a balance issue, an out of round tire or a bent wheel.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Welcome. You should head over to the A6 C7 forum where you will find owners willing to help and share info.

It could be as simple as a wheel balance or a bad tire. It happens. I've had my share of out of round tires over the years. Easy way to tell - have it checked on a Hunter Force balancer. The machine can tell if it's a balance issue, an out of round tire or a bent wheel.

Shane and Snagitseven thanks for the greetings!

Snagit, I've been reading many of your posts -- always good info and a pleasure to read. You are totally correct on the vibration -- selling dealer diagnosed one rear tire as being defective and it was replaced. Unfortunately they weren't all that good at balancing but the Audi dealer near my house (I bought car about 30 miles away from home b/c they had the right vehicle) with whom I have dealt for many years (they also have an Acura store) is very keen for me to do my service with them and they helped me out -- re-balanced both rears no charge. Car is now 90% better. Needless to say I know where car will be serviced going forward. As for the other 10% the lead tech with whom I went on a test drive told me that the driver side rear tire barely "passed" on the Hunter and I might want to take this up with selling dealer or tire manufacturer. FWIW, I have a sport suspension on this car with the 19" Goodyear LS2 tires. I will follow up on this but on my 400 mile drive yesterday to and from Detroit suburbs to an hour outside Toronto to meet my Dad for dinner, car was pretty solid. Maybe a slight hint of rear wheel imbalance but nothing horrible.

And to boot -- I got 30.9 mpg including a very small amount of city driving (maybe 15 miles) and speeds between 70 and 80 mph. What a great transmission this car has -- 75 mph = 1750 rpm. No wonder the gas mileage is great. I was in a bit of hurry on way home and suspect that if I kept it at 75 or so would have gotten a mile or two more per gallon -- simply amazing.

I'm really enjoying the car so far.

Thanks again,

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-02-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did they happen to run the wheel on the Hunter w/o the tire mounted? If not, the hunter can also check for an out of round or slightly bent wheel. It happens thanks to potholes and I've been there, done that. If it does turn out to be bent, a wheel repair shop can fix it like new for about $100 or so. Worth checking the wheel if you can't get the vibration out via balancing. Audi Quattro is very sensitive to wheel vibrations no matter what the cause.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not sure Snagit but I do intend to follow up on this. Not only is the Quattro very sensitive to wheel vibrations but so am I! Lots of the tire shops around these parts do a very poor job of balancing even with the Hunter force balance machine -- don't know if the operators are just too lazy to take tire off wheel and rotate/match it as indicated by the Hunter or they don't calibrate the machine properly. The part of my story in prior post that I didn't mention was that my first stop after selling dealer didn't do the balance properly was Discount Tire -- they too did a poor job. The dealer close to my house with whom I will be doing all my service going forward did the job properly. The car is so wonderful to drive it is just not acceptable to have wheel/tire vibrations that can be eliminated by proper balance/replacement of a marginal tire.

On another note I saw your "my number came up" post -- sorry to hear that and I hope that your car has been restored to as new condition. Very upsetting but as many have said most important thing is you are ok.

I do not modify any of my cars (no judgment intended on anyone who does) but I made an exception for the A6 -- major mod -- I bought a dipstick and installed on Friday. I am much happier now! LOL.

Thanks again for your good advice.

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I too did the dipstick mod. I rate it as a 1 out of 10 in difficulty to install.
Sometimes, besides a deformation from a pothole, a wheel can be imperfect from the factory and not capable of being properly balanced. That happened to me once and it was replaced under warranty.

Yes, the Hunter is no better than the skill of the operator. Calibration is also a potential issue. I once had a set of tires balanced on a Hunter at a tire shop and still had vibrations. Like you I had my dealer redo them and that took care of it. I called the tire shop and they admitted the machine was discovered to be out of calibration. They sent me a refund.

Yes, so far I'm very pleased with the repairs. The car is now at my detailer who is replacing the film, paint protection and doing a complete in and out detail. I pick it up in 2 or 3 days.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad to hear the repairs appear to be satisfactory thus far. Fingers crossed comes out perfect. Yes, I did appreciate the simplicity of the dipstick modification. Would have been even better if Audi had simply put one in during the manufacturing process. Go figure.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Yes, I did appreciate the simplicity of the dipstick modification. Would have been even better if Audi had simply put one in during the manufacturing process. Go figure.
Probable answer: $8 wholesale cost x 500K autos = $4 million in profit.