Riverside Audi (Masters of the Bait & Switch)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riverside Audi (Masters of the Bait & Switch)

Needless to say I've had very positive sales experiences with VW/Audi over the past 5 years. When it came time for a good friend of mine to purchase a CPO Audi A4 Cabrio, she did her research and found the exact car she was looking for at the right price from the Audi USA website. She contacted the dealership, "Riverside Audi" in New York, NJ and placed a $500.00 deposit to hold the car that was listed on Audi's site. She also informed the salesman that she would be coming up to pick up the car, and finalize price and financing. After a 4 hour drive to New Jersey we find out that the car she placed a deposit on is a disassembled wreck in no condition to be driven, and hasn't even gone through the Audi CPO process.

Now here comes the old-switcheroo!!

The dealership has another A4 Cabrio in the same color and option combo that my friend wanted for $7000.00 more. Thinking that she wasn't going to drive all the way from Washington, D.C. and leave without a car she went for the test drive. Once they get back from the test drive a friend of mine who is an AIG Insurance Fraud Inspector checked the car and we noticed heavy calcium deposits on the hose which connects to the radiator hose and varnish on the oil-cap. Apparently whoever owned this Cabrio didn't maintain the car well, and the calcium on the radiator hose shows that coolant is slowly leaking from this car.

Needless to say my friend was pissed! What's sad is that this dealership was allowed to post a car on Audi's Corporate Website as available for sale and the car was nowhere near ready; but a more expensive alternative was available and ready to go! What's really funny is that the salesman actually wanted to keep the deposit, and have my friend drive back to New Jersey when the "bait-car" was ready for sale! She basically had the dealership charge-back her deposit, and we drove back to DC.

I hope this experience hasn't ruined my friend's yearn to own an Audi, but it sure says alot about an AudiWorld sponsor!

Peace and blessings,

William aka The Swami
Old 11-22-2005, 03:11 PM

I agree, Rirverside Audi is TERRIBLE!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Who was your salesperson? Also, a few thoughts...

My dad bought his CPO'd A6 4.2 there a month ago. I picked the car myself for him and worked the deal. Everything went smoothly, my dad got a very nice car at a fair price with good service along the way from our salesman, the F&I manager and the dealership owner.

I have no doubt that my positive experience was in part due to the fact that I have a good working knowledge of the car business as a former salesman and that I'm an audi enthusiast who knows the cars. From what I saw on their lot, their used audis as a whole were nicer (at least on the surface) than the others in the area. I am quite dissapointed that they "went through the motions" like they did on an obviously not ready car, but I dont see anything wrong with the salesman trying to "upsell" your friend into another car, thats just the way it works. As far as the more expensive car goes, a slightly crusty radiator hose and varnish on the oil cap can happen to any car and if she wanted the car she should've just stipulated that these things be fixed before delivery. Remember, it was a USED car she was looking at, not a new one and USED cars, even "CPO" cars can have little niggles.

The one my dad bought needed some minor cosmetic reconditioning (bumpers repainted) and Riverside did a very nice job as the thing looked 99% new when picked up. I think she did the right thing by taking back her deposit and walking away.

Finally, did your friend mention that they were an "audiworld customer" or that they saw the car on the AW classifieds?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I worked with another audi world poster.. a few months ago..

he drove up from VA to buy a CPO allroad from riverside. He knew what to look out for and none of the problems appeared. Any issue he had with the car prior to driving up was taken care of... New Tires, CPO Documentation, etc. Then before signing he gave it the once over and any points were taken care of. He was thrilled with the service and with the car.

Perhaps it was also up to your friend to do som "due dilligence" prior to making the drive. Granted you don't know the story behind the Audi Website listing it and it may have been a mistake listing, the snakes are out there just listen for the rattle.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Who was your salesperson? Also, a few thoughts...

I feel you, but a few minor issues and a possible coolant leak are two extremes. Now I can see if the salesman informed her that the car wasn't prepped and that she waited to drive up to Riverside to do business, but this wasn't the case.

Telling an out-of-state customer that a car is available for sale and taking a deposit, then driving up to find out that the car is a disassembled wreck waiting for parts is God aweful!!

We found another 3.0 Quattro Alpaka Beige Cabrio locally that's fully loaded and she's going to consider that one.. AudiUSA really needs to have some standards on what vehicles are listed as CPO.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sorry about your poor experience..I'm shocked because Riverside has treated me well

They were very patient with me during our 10-day deal, during which I was very picky, annoying, indecisive...etc. As a 19-year old buyer with limited credit, they gave me a very decent APR, not to mention the specific audi I was looking for, 3-4k under the list price. None the less, I'm sorry about your frustrating time with them, just wanted to let you and everyone else know they aren't all that bad.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Bought 2 cars from them. Amazing experience (both sales and service)
Old 11-23-2005, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was dicked over there quite badly. The car I had walked in to buy was "sold" 5 minutes before I

got there... I'm guessing they weren't happy with my offer. That's besides the point. I'm not going into details about how I was screwed royally.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went there trying to get a nice CPO for my wife and was treated like the sales guy did not want to

give me the time of day.
I dont get it, I am no kid, well dressed, pulled up in a new car and had my check book in hand.
They tried to sell me this POS A6 that I would not wish on anyone.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

service+sales, can't complain they have great to me, but I know there is a new manager over there.

Quick Reply: Riverside Audi (Masters of the Bait & Switch)