Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

APR Software in Q3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Software in Q3

I am THIS close to getting a new 2016 Q3...I presently have a 2014 X1 s28i which I like but it is lacking AWD, leather, proximity key and Xenon headlights, all of which are very important to me. I can get this Q3 at a good price. I am comparing to the new 2016 X1 which I am going to see a 'pre-production' unit of tomorrow so that will be the final determination. My question is whether anyone on this Q3 forus has added the APR software (SW only) to their Q3 and how happy were you? I had the APR SW in my 2007 A3 and loved it. This Q3 is quick enough but adding 40-45hp would be very nice, I think...thoughts?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Da Fuh? Nobody on the whole AudiWorld forums ever got the APR software for their Q3?...astounding...
Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
Da Fuh? Nobody on the whole AudiWorld forums ever got the APR software for their Q3?...astounding...

The car has been out for less than 12 months.
Yes, it basically a EA888 Gen1 engine but consider the demographics too, not every1 is a German Brau head.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mk7User
The car has been out for less than 12 months.
Yes, it basically a EA888 Gen1 engine but consider the demographics too, not every1 is a German Brau head.
"German Brau head"?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No a direct answer, but somewhat related.

I had a 2015 Q3 Premium Plus with factory 19" and sport seats. I found it pathetically slow but I know the Q3's main demographic is looking for a smaller luxury crossover with Audi fit and feet. I think hp and monster torque is not a concern. I had APR do a stage 1 on an A5 and it helped tremendously. I felt the 2013 A5 was a very average car in terms of power and torque. We call it "all show and no go." But it had a great transmission that could maximize the mild tune. Eventually the ecu kept telling the car it was overheating and the radiator fan would stay on even when the car was off all night. Simply touching a door handle would kick the fan on. Audi finally replaced the ecu.

In my opinion the Q3 transmission is one of the worst I've ever experienced in the past 10 years under spirited fast driving. It always feels between gears, and in sport mode with esc off under heavy throttle it always grabbed and held onto the gear too long. Casual driving the transmission was near flawless if you could deal with the turbo lag and knew how to drive the throttle and transmission together. The reason I did not get an APR 1 on the Q3 is because I don't think the transmission would fair well and the local dealer would red flag the warranty. Plus the suspension has so much body roll that any extra velocity would tax the stock Conti tires and suspension even more.

The local dealership basically bought back the Q3 after seven months. I'm a pretty good long-time customer and they wanted to make me happy and not blabbing all over town how the Q3 was for slow old drivers, ha.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with your review. A lot.

I believe you would have been happier if your Q3 had the S-Tronic transmission and the Engine we have in Mexico.

But still with those, I find the "programming" of the transmission to be kind of weird.

For the most part I love my Q3, it is a crossover not a sports car, so I take the "sportness" I can get out of it with a smile.

Sport driving with the S-Tronic is quite fun...
Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kreativecid
No a direct answer, but somewhat related.

I had a 2015 Q3 Premium Plus with factory 19" and sport seats. I found it pathetically slow but I know the Q3's main demographic is looking for a smaller luxury crossover with Audi fit and feet. I think hp and monster torque is not a concern. I had APR do a stage 1 on an A5 and it helped tremendously. I felt the 2013 A5 was a very average car in terms of power and torque. We call it "all show and no go." But it had a great transmission that could maximize the mild tune. Eventually the ecu kept telling the car it was overheating and the radiator fan would stay on even when the car was off all night. Simply touching a door handle would kick the fan on. Audi finally replaced the ecu.

In my opinion the Q3 transmission is one of the worst I've ever experienced in the past 10 years under spirited fast driving. It always feels between gears, and in sport mode with esc off under heavy throttle it always grabbed and held onto the gear too long. Casual driving the transmission was near flawless if you could deal with the turbo lag and knew how to drive the throttle and transmission together. The reason I did not get an APR 1 on the Q3 is because I don't think the transmission would fair well and the local dealer would red flag the warranty. Plus the suspension has so much body roll that any extra velocity would tax the stock Conti tires and suspension even more.

The local dealership basically bought back the Q3 after seven months. I'm a pretty good long-time customer and they wanted to make me happy and not blabbing all over town how the Q3 was for slow old drivers, ha.
Thank you for the great review.
While I don't share your concerns for the EA888 Gen 1 APR tune since it's been applied solidly to the Mk5 era Golf chassis for years now, I'm glad it's my wife's car & her pick, & I don't have a real say in it besides signing the check for it.

While the stock engine will do well in a urban/mall environment.
It's not meant to be taking on other x-overs in wide open spaces.
That said, the ride & handling is superb & so is the fit & finish.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's not the fastest small SUV, but I feel it's perfect for the wife who doesn't need a lot of foot power...LOL
Old 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

just to reply on this thread I do own a 2015 Q3 and I did myself the APR stage 1+ flash and is fantastic ! this tune improve the low lagish around 1-3 k rpm and you feel the high boost kick at 3-5k rpm . I'm still obtain the same or slight more fuel efficiency 17-21mpg city drive.