Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Drove one & other thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Mexico and have the 211hp / 7speed S-Tronic / Quattro

Torque is nice and the gear changes with the S-Tronic feel very good.

Also, 0-60 with the Dynolicious App and using Launch Control has been always around 6.5 seconds.

I really like my Q3, only dowside is throttle response is a bit slow on normal driving but Sport Mode is EXCELLENT!

Last edited by PuroMexicano; 10-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't understand what Audi America is thinking not offering the dual clutch. I just read that the A3 sportback is coming back next year. That's wonderful news but also disappointing because the dual clutch will not be an option for the sportback. Why ???

I had a 2006 A3 with the dual clutch and loved the car. It was my first car without manual tranny and I honestly did not miss shifting at all with my beloved A3. I now have the Q5 with 8-speed and I wish I would have held on to the A3. The 8-speed (or any traditional auto) just saps all the joy out of driving. It lurches and hesitates and just does not seem to know what my right foot is doing. And I miss those throttle blips when downshifting.

I'm not sure why Audi even bothers with torque converters anymore when they make such a wonderful dual clutch auto.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stash64
I don't understand what Audi America is thinking not offering the dual clutch. I just read that the A3 sportback is coming back next year. That's wonderful news but also disappointing because the dual clutch will not be an option for the sportback. Why ???

I had a 2006 A3 with the dual clutch and loved the car. It was my first car without manual tranny and I honestly did not miss shifting at all with my beloved A3. I now have the Q5 with 8-speed and I wish I would have held on to the A3. The 8-speed (or any traditional auto) just saps all the joy out of driving. It lurches and hesitates and just does not seem to know what my right foot is doing. And I miss those throttle blips when downshifting.

I'm not sure why Audi even bothers with torque converters anymore when they make such a wonderful dual clutch auto.
Dual clutch transmissions suck if you are an automatic driver...I love 3 pedal manuals but to me a dual clutch tranny is garbage. Manuals should have 3 pedals. For someone who normally drives an auto [like my wife who hates the transmission in her GLA], they are going to hate a dual clutch transmission. It's weird and does not respond as they are used to.

As someone who now drives an S8 [my first automatic car], I would not have bought the car if it had a dual clutch transmission. The auto is paired flawlessly to it and it works great. Not to mention, the Q3 is not the kind of vehicle that a DSG really fits. My $.02
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 AM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

Default Make mine an 8

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
Dual clutch transmissions suck if you are an automatic driver...I love 3 pedal manuals but to me a dual clutch tranny is garbage. Manuals should have 3 pedals. For someone who normally drives an auto [like my wife who hates the transmission in her GLA], they are going to hate a dual clutch transmission. It's weird and does not respond as they are used to.

As someone who now drives an S8 [my first automatic car], I would not have bought the car if it had a dual clutch transmission. The auto is paired flawlessly to it and it works great. Not to mention, the Q3 is not the kind of vehicle that a DSG really fits. My $.02
As long at that automatic is an 8! I love the auto transmission in my A4. It is a lot better than the 6 speed automatic in any other Audi I have driven.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you actually driven an Audi DSG or S-tronic ? Every car I had prior to my A3 (2006) with DSG was a manual. I was very hesitant to order any automatic but I never missed shifting my own gears with the A3. The DSG provided lightning quick shifts and yet was never harsh. (If that's "weird", I guess I am weird.) It had none of the jerkiness and hesitation I get from the ZF 8-speed in my Q5.

I know some dual clutch transmissions are not as smooth as Audi's, and I would challenge you to find any negative reviews on Audi's or Porsche's dual clutch tranny's. I am sure even ZF would acknowledge that they were trying to mimic the performance of Audi's dual clutch when designing their 8-speed auto. It's obvious that ZF is trying to match the quick shifts and fuel economy of the dual clutch by locking up the torque converter early and often, but I have no doubt that these frequent lock-ups/releases are the source of the jerks and hesitation. Nice try but I'll take the real thing, or a manual. The Q5 will likely be my first and last torque converter auto tranny. It's old tech and it feels that way to me.

Last edited by stash64; 06-06-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wifes VW EOS has a DSG 6 speed and I absolutely love it. Lightning fast shifts! No Slushbox feel. The only thing that I might classify as 'weird' would be its start from a dead stop... but that was easy to get used to and really no big deal.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are wrong, buddy, the DSG in the Q3 fits prefectly to the type of car.

Fast shifts, sporty driving. Guess you have to own one to know...