Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

MMI – It pays to read the manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI – It pays to read the manual

After three months with the Q3, I am very fluent with the MMI. Once you learn the basics, it becomes intuitive and it is very easy to do things with it that you’ve never done before.

It wasn’t like that when I first got the Q3. I work in IT so; “Manuals? I don’t need no stinking manuals.” Wrong! The first day I could not even add a radio station preset. So, humbled, I read the manual and everything made sense.

Now, I’m the master of MMI. So anyway, last week my iPhone 5 broke so I replaced it with an iPhone 6. Two days later while driving, I realized I never paired the new phone. I also realized I needed to delete the old pairing. No problem. So at the next red light, I easily removed the old phone going through menus I never traversed before, before the light turned green. 200 yards down the road in the McDonalds drive thru, I knew I had time to pair the new phone while in line. But it would not pair. It did not even see my phone. So, I tried again, and nothing. I was doing everything right. Horrors, is the iPhone 6 is not compatible?

Humbled again I pulled out the manual. And there it was; the MMI will ONLY pair with a phone during the first five minutes after the vehicle is started. OK, so I didn’t read every little word in the manual, or even large sections. (Or 85% of it) So I go out, start the motor, and the MMI found the phone.

But on the whole, MMI is very easy to figure out. Over whelming the first few days, but it gets easier.

I'm still laughing at myself with the panic I had of having a "non compatible phone"!

Last edited by miTTch; 02-19-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by miTTch
After three months with the Q3, I am very fluent with the MMI. Once you learn the basics, it becomes intuitive and it is very easy to do things with it that you’ve never done before.

It wasn’t like that when I first got the Q3. I work in IT so; “Manuals? I don’t need no stinking manuals.” Wrong! The first day I could not even add a radio station preset. So, humbled, I read the manual and everything made sense.

Now, I’m the master of MMI. So anyway, last week my iPhone 5 broke so I replaced it with an iPhone 6. Two days later while driving, I realized I never paired the new phone. I also realized I needed to delete the old pairing. No problem. So at the next red light, I easily removed the old phone going through menus I never traversed before, before the light turned green. 200 yards down the road in the McDonalds drive thru, I knew I had time to pair the new phone while in line. But it would not pair. It did not even see my phone. So, I tried again, and nothing. I was doing everything right. Horrors, is the iPhone 6 is not compatible?

Humbled again I pulled out the manual. And there it was; the MMI will ONLY pair with a phone during the first five minutes after the vehicle is started. OK, so I didn’t read every little word in the manual, or even large sections. (Or 85% of it) So I go out, start the motor, and the MMI found the phone.

But on the whole, MMI is very easy to figure out. Over whelming the first few days, but it gets easier.

I'm still laughing at myself with the panic I had of having a "non compatible phone"!

Good info, but manuals are for girls.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another tip on MMI GPS – The salesman said to enter my home address into GPS HOME for directions to get there. I said “Why I know where I live.” It turns out he was right.

A couple of months ago I was in LA visiting and I do not know the freeways there. (I live in San Diego) So I’m headed on the 405 South returning home and hit voice command from the steering wheel and said “Next restaurant”. It displayed a Black Angus on the screen (among others), and on my command, guided me there. After leaving Black Angus, I realized the freeway street exit I got off on, did not have an entrance to the 405 South. So now I am lost, not knowing how to get back on the 405 South. So all I had to do is use voice command and say “Navigate Home”. Sure enough, it guided me to the nearest 405 South on-ramp a quarter mile away. Once on the 405 South I turned navigation off because everyone knows the 405 merges into the 5 South to San Diego.

Tip, do not set your home address as a destination, set it up as HOME. They will both work, but what is the difference? My daughter noticed the difference when she noticed that there is a pin on our home address on the map because I entered the address as HOME. (Not like that is useful though).

Tip, You MUST learn/memorize the voice commands. I’ve tried “Locate restaurant”, and “Find restaurant” and it does not work. It must be “Next restaurant”. It has to be exact.

FYI: When you buy an Audi, the salesman becomes a friend for life and will drop anything to help you with tips. A month after purchasing, I called him and said my radio display was not showing Artist/Song. He was driving at the time and checked his display and helped me.