Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 MMI and Iphone 6

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 MMI and Iphone 6

I recently purchased an iphone 6 with the new lightning connector. I also purchased the Mophie case to protect the phone. My problem is the Mophie case internally connects to the phone with the lightning connector. However the case uses a micro usb port for external connections, (charging and etc.) In order to connect to my phone, I must use a micro usb connector. I have found an Audi cable (30 pin female to micro usb) that should work in my glove box MMI connection.
Robot Check Robot Check

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have read threads and reviews until I become dizzy and still don't know if this has a reasonable chance of success.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gojones
I recently purchased an iphone 6 with the new lightning connector. I also purchased the Mophie case to protect the phone. My problem is the Mophie case internally connects to the phone with the lightning connector. However the case uses a micro usb port for external connections, (charging and etc.) In order to connect to my phone, I must use a micro usb connector. I have found an Audi cable (30 pin female to micro usb) that should work in my glove box MMI connection. Robot Check.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have read threads and reviews until I become dizzy and still don't know if this has a reasonable chance of success.
The misspelling of "Genuiene" doesn't bode well, but yes, that is the sort of cable you'd need. I'd probably just talk to the dealer though.

Are you sure that your Mophie case can charge and sync? Most of the battery cases I've used only charge through those Micro USB ports.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
The misspelling of "Genuiene" doesn't bode well, but yes, that is the sort of cable you'd need. I'd probably just talk to the dealer though.

Are you sure that your Mophie case can charge and sync? Most of the battery cases I've used only charge through those Micro USB ports.
Well....no. I'm not sure of anything. When I'm connected thru usb to my PC, it is charging and syncing with my Outlook/icloud. It could be syncing over WiFi though. This is my case
Amazon.com: mophie juice pack plus for iPhone 6 (3,300 mAh) - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: mophie juice pack plus for iPhone 6 (3,300 mAh) - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

The case stipulates "Pass-through charge and sync means you never have to remove your juice pack to charge and sync your iPhone 6". I am hoping this will apply with the MMI cable.

Last edited by gojones; 03-23-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't own this car (yet!), but even if the Mophie case only allows charging over the microUSB, couldn't you use Bluetooth for actually syncing and playing music through the car?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bsd107
I don't own this car (yet!), but even if the Mophie case only allows charging over the microUSB, couldn't you use Bluetooth for actually syncing and playing music through the car?
Yes, control rest with the phone. The cable setup is designed to allow the MMI to contol the iphone. The new connections have me scrambling to get a cable setup that will all this through the Mophie case.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I use the bluetooth connectivity and it works fine, looked at various cables... IMHO more trouble than they are worth...
Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barraged
I use the bluetooth connectivity and it works fine, looked at various cables... IMHO more trouble than they are worth...
I hear you! In the end I use BT for mi iPhone 6 and have an old iPhone 3GS in the glove compartment connected with the red grommet cable (which allows album art and videos)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I may just do the BT route and save myself some grief. Thanks all.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bluetooth still isn't as reliable as a cable if you're looking to use it for playing music. I've had the MMI lose track of what was playing and the next and previous track commands not work for a few minutes until everything catches up. I just gave up and only use bluetooth for the phone functions and threw an old iPod Classic in the glovebox for music.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Pandora streams just fine via Bluetooth...

Quick Reply: 2015 Q5 MMI and Iphone 6