Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Access engine bay from interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Access engine bay from interior?

Not sure if anyone can help. I'm Installing an LED Light Bar behind my 2015 Q5 grille but for the life of me I can't work out how to access the engine bay from the interior so I can wire in the switch*

Has anyone ever done this before? Or know of a guide to do this?

I'm reasonably savy with this sort of thing but the q5 interior has stumped me*

Last edited by Tjlala; 05-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Easiest way will be through the ECU housing.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry do you have any more info about that?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by Tjlala
Sorry do you have any more info about that?

In the engine compartment in the very back right almost to the windshield there is a plastic trim cover that is the width of the vehicle. It conceals the wiper motors, master cylinder etc. You need to pry this up and remove it so that you can access the back driver's side corner. Once you get this piece out you will need to remove the two bolts that hold the Washer fluid reservoir filler neck in place. Pull the neck out of the whole where it enters the fender. The black box under the filler you just removed is the ECU box. It should have three screws on it. Remove all 3 screws. Once open PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE ANYTHING!!!!! You will see where the engine harness enters this box on the front left corner (If you are facing the box). You will need to CAREFULLY feed your wire through that rubber grommet. The ECU itself actually just sticks through a hole in the firewall so you can just put the wire through the same hole. Installation is reverse of removal. And for the last time...Please be careful not to damage anything.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 05-06-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
In the engine compartment in the very back right almost to the windshield there is a plastic trim cover that is the width of the vehicle. It conceals the wiper motors, master cylinder etc. You need to pry this up and remove it so that you can access the back driver's side corner. Once you get this piece out you will need to remove the two bolts that hold the Washer fluid reservoir filler neck in place. Pull the neck out of the whole where it enters the fender. The black box under the filler you just removed is the ECU box. It should have three screws on it. Remove all 3 screws. Once open PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE ANYTHING!!!!! You will see where the engine harness enters this box on the front left corner (If you are facing the box). You will need to CAREFULLY feed your wire through that rubber grommet. The ECU itself actually just sticks through a hole in the firewall so you can just put the wire through the same hole. Installation is reverse of removal. And for the last time...Please be careful not to damage anything.

This is good- where did you get this info and these diagrams from?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjlala
This is good- where did you get this info and these diagrams from?
WARNING
Do not open ECU-box, you will lose warranty
Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
WARNING

Thanks for your advice Spijun,

What should I do then?

The job itself is simple. I have an LED bar that I have mounted behind the grille, power connected. Now the relay is connected to a switch that i need to get inside the interior of the car.

How can I thread the cabling through safely so i can mount on the dashboard somewhere

someone must have done something like this before?
Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

You could drill a small hole and feed the wire through. I've done that before in previous cars.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by spijun
WARNING
Where does it state that you will lose warranty if you open your ECU box? AFAIK, and correct me if I am wrong, but there are no sensors or warning stickers on the box. The only way you void a warranty is through flashing your ECU electronically or replacing it with a tuned one. That shows up in VW/AUDI's ODIS system as a TD1 flag. Additionally, TD1 does not necessarily mean your warranty is void either. TD1 only applies to the powertrain and should a warranty claim arise for something on a tuned vehicle, it is completely at the discretion of AUDI as to wether the claim will be approved. I kind of got off on a little tangent because so many people don't understand the concept of TD1 and how it affects the vehicle. In short: "opening" your ECU box doesn't affect your warranty anymore than opening the hood of your car to look at your engine.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 05-07-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Where does it state that you will lose warranty if you open your ECU box? AFAIK, and correct me if I am wrong, but there are no sensors or warning stickers on the box. The only way you void a warranty is through flashing your ECU electronically or replacing it with a tuned one. That shows up in VW/AUDI's ODIS system as a TD1 flag. Additionally, TD1 does not necessarily mean your warranty is void either. TD1 only applies to the powertrain and should a warranty claim arise for something on a tuned vehicle, it is completely at the discretion of AUDI as to wether the claim will be approved. I kind of got off on a little tangent because so many people don't understand the concept of TD1 and how it affects the vehicle. In short: "opening" your ECU box doesn't affect your warranty anymore than opening the hood of your car to look at your engine.
Ok no problem. In Europe and the rest of the world this is true, you lose the guarantee for ECU.
I do not know the US

Bye-bye

Quick Reply: Access engine bay from interior?