Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone using a ProClip in their Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using a ProClip in their Q5?

It's that time of year again. The new iPhone(s) will be debuting this week, and I'm thinking about purchasing a ProClip for it, once it's (or they're) unveiled. Since my Q5 is still relatively new (less than 5k on odo) and I've been waiting for Apple's next iteration, I haven't yet invested in a phone holder. However, I'm starting to get fed up with my temporary solution of just leaving it on top of the ash tray in a protective case. Hard turns usually cause it to slide or when I'm parking it gets somewhat in the way of allowing me to put the transmission into Park. The cup holders are a decent spot, but I'm usually using those and with the next iPhone rumors pointing to it becoming more of a phablet, it probably won't fit. I'm curious to see if anyone has had a problem with their ProClip? For example, has it detached from the dash or is charging a PITA with it? If you could share your experience I would appreciate it. Thanks!

BTW: Yes I've searched, but only found a few posts, which date back at the earliest a year ago and mainly show what members are using without mentioning any issues, if there are any.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used proClips on other vehicles many years ago. They are a quality product but they're kind of "inelegant" looking & sometimes require some disassembly of the dash. In the recent past, I've used Kuda Mounts - mostly on my Cadillac STS's & Escalades. They're a little more bulky than the ProClip, but their appearance is much more in line with our "luxury" interior. KUDA OEM leather iPhone GPS Mount for AUDI Q5 (since 2009) black

Last edited by Cadx6; 09-07-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Decided against a pro clip, and am using this instead:

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 2 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 2 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation

Works perfectly for my needs.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bleh5; 09-07-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

B-
Ask yourself this. What is the most important time, the most important reason, that you might want a cell phone in your car?

Well, to call 911 after something big just came out of nowhere and sent you flying into the trees. Or something similar, right?

I've had the pleasure of walking away from "what used to be a perfectly good car" and I can tell you that anything which is not firmly mechanically secured, becomes an incredibly powerful missile. An unsecured cell phone in a 30mph accident will probably be smashed and useless. At highway speeds, good luck finding the pieces of it.

So sticky pads don't really interest me, and just leaving it on the ashtray (I confess, I do have one of those pads for that) isn't really a great idea. Mine is clipped into a flex arm that suctions onto the side of the console. Not perfect, but about as secure as I can make it. If all I used it for was calling, I'd leave it in the center console and rely on BT, but I do use the nav apps so I need to see it.

(That Mountek looks interesting, but it probably would kill the NFC link on my phone.)
Old 09-07-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had proclips for years and have one currently. I love it. I have the one that mounts on the right side of the CD player.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
I've used proClips on other vehicles many years ago. They are a quality product but they're kind of "inelegant" looking & sometimes require some disassembly of the dash. In the recent past, I've used Kuda Mounts - mostly on my Cadillac STS's & Escalades. They're a little more bulky than the ProClip, but their appearance is much more in line with our "luxury" interior. KUDA OEM leather iPhone GPS Mount for AUDI Q5 (since 2009) black

Originally Posted by Bleh5
Decided against a pro clip, and am using this instead:

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind, but I'm pretty sold on ProClip right now. I'm just curious to see if it has any pitfalls before I commit to it.

Originally Posted by Redd
B-
Ask yourself this. What is the most important time, the most important reason, that you might want a cell phone in your car?

Well, to call 911 after something big just came out of nowhere and sent you flying into the trees. Or something similar, right?

I've had the pleasure of walking away from "what used to be a perfectly good car" and I can tell you that anything which is not firmly mechanically secured, becomes an incredibly powerful missile. An unsecured cell phone in a 30mph accident will probably be smashed and useless. At highway speeds, good luck finding the pieces of it.

So sticky pads don't really interest me, and just leaving it on the ashtray (I confess, I do have one of those pads for that) isn't really a great idea. Mine is clipped into a flex arm that suctions onto the side of the console. Not perfect, but about as secure as I can make it. If all I used it for was calling, I'd leave it in the center console and rely on BT, but I do use the nav apps so I need to see it.

(That Mountek looks interesting, but it probably would kill the NFC link on my phone.)

From my experience, suction cups seem to detach at the worst times (even after proper prepping), but thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by laakness
I've had proclips for years and have one currently. I love it. I have the one that mounts on the right side of the CD player.
Thanks for your feedback. It looks like the ProClip would fit my needs best. However, I do wonder if it shifts or detaches from the dash over time. Have you had any problems over the years at all?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by laakness
Any chance we could see a picture of it?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had one come off. They make them so that one portion usually sticks to the interior while another clips into or behind some panel that is already there.

Inside the red box is where it clips in behind the plastic piece. To the left you can see the two face tape that keeps it mounted flush.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, now that I have my iPhone6 Plus and ProClip finally has a debuted its iPhone6 Plus version, I've preordered mine. Once I receive it and get it installed, I'll post some photos.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their insight and their own photos.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I finally received my ProClip for my iPhone6+ late last week....install was rather simple.....works perfectly for my needs.

Snapped a few pics during the install....

Last edited by - B -; 10-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a ProClip in their Q5?