Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 222522
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto, on
Posts: 28
Default Audi care covered 2013 and winter tire question?

About to take delivery on my cuvee silver 2013 3.0T with the s-line package, which also has the upgraded 20" 5 arm star design rims. I also opted for audi care , which gives me up to 2 claims for rim repair during the 3 year lease program.

Ive never gone for the care package and now has me thinking of just buying the 20" winter tires, and maintaing the OEM look, year round, since i dont care about rim damage. It will save a few bucks for tires only, but not much over a 18" rim and tire package.

My question to you guys , is a 20" winter tire going to float too much on snow? Second, play devils advocate with me, what am i not considering here in doing a full rim and tire package?

Thanks ahead of time!
m-ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 244066
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-ro View Post
About to take delivery on my cuvee silver 2013 3.0T with the s-line package, which also has the upgraded 20" 5 arm star design rims. I also opted for audi care , which gives me up to 2 claims for rim repair during the 3 year lease program.

Ive never gone for the care package and now has me thinking of just buying the 20" winter tires, and maintaing the OEM look, year round, since i dont care about rim damage. It will save a few bucks for tires only, but not much over a 18" rim and tire package.

My question to you guys , is a 20" winter tire going to float too much on snow? Second, play devils advocate with me, what am i not considering here in doing a full rim and tire package?

Thanks ahead of time!
Audi Care include regularly scheduled maintenance. It does not include rim repair
njandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 222522
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto, on
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njandy View Post
Audi Care include regularly scheduled maintenance. It does not include rim repair
Sorry, you are correct, i have the audi care and the audi after care 'wear and protection package' as well.
m-ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 225971
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I can't comment on the 20s in the snow. I've done it with 19" rims and it worked great. However I was at the dealership and the service manager said that it's not a good idea to pull and install tires on a rim multiple times - it can damage the tires. Plus it's less expensive to swap rims and tires than just tires. This year I bought a set of used winter tires and rims.
MJNHQ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 243154
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Princeton NJ
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJNHQ5 View Post
However I was at the dealership and the service manager said that it's not a good idea to pull and install tires on a rim multiple times - it can damage the tires.
I think he's selling you a hill of beans :-)

We'll replace motorcycle tires multiple times a race weekend without issue. Sometimes a rim might get nicked if the installer isn't concentrating, but overall, no one has 'damaged' a tire from installation.

And we put a wee bit more stress on tires than 4 wheel passenger cars.


But speaking form someone who has swapped out winter tires on my SUV: he's right that the installation costs can equal a set of tires over a few years. It does add up.


Unless someone at the service desk shows you a document from Audi, I would always double check their advice. Remember, the service desk IS the profit center of a dealership. Tires and rims are by far the most profitable item they sell.
antirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 225971
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I don't think he meant damaged in the sense of nic or tears - more that pulling and installing them multiple times over time degrades the sidewalls. Yeah - you have to consider the source and tires and rims are a very expensive option from the dealer.
MJNHQ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2013, audi, care, cost, included, installation, package, tire, winter


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community