Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi MMI/Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that have the delay. How many songs/contacts do you have? I'm wondering if that could be the cause as well?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Speaking of ill-mannered BT functions...an app crashed my phone this summer, so I restarted it cold. And the car's BT refused to pair with the phone afterwards, insisting there was no phone to be found.

I've noticed that if the BT connection is lost for any reason, the car can't seem to reconnect, unless the car is physically shut down and restarted? Not just the radio, but the entire car??
Yes, I have noticed this as well that if the pairing is lost, that a reconnect sometimes does not work after rebooting the phone. Obviously there are two bluetooth components here and either could be need a reboot occasionally.

I have gone to the bluetooth menu on MMI, and turned it off then back on. That has resolved issue at least one time for me. Everything re-pairs automatically.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine takes forever to pair also, like 30-45 seconds.

No matter if its an iPhone 5S or iPhone 6.

Same iPhone 5S would connect right away (1 - 2 seconds), in my old Lincon 08... go figure, they say German engineering...:roll eyes:

BTW how do you figure if you have the latest MMI software? How to upgrade it?
Old 11-03-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The pairing may appear to be slow, because the car is downloading the phone book and other information from the phone to the radio as soon as it has paired. IIRC that's all done in one session, before the car will acknowledge it now owns your phone.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The pairing may appear to be slow, because the car is downloading the phone book and other information from the phone to the radio as soon as it has paired. IIRC that's all done in one session, before the car will acknowledge it now owns your phone.
Are you telling me that the phonebook is downloaded each time?!? That doesn't make sense... can this feature be removed?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know how long the phone book is "held" for. But consider, most cell phone "phone books" are updated with new entries every week or day. So how can your car figure out what is new and what is obsolete? Simplest way to accomplish that, is to delete the phone book from the car's memory every time the ignition is off (or off for more than xx hours?) and then just download the latest phone book every time it is paired.

The alternative of trying to synchronize changes in the phone books would require more processor power and programming. AFAIK there's no way to 'remove' that feature, you are looking at firmware built into the radio and there's no way to change that, short of custom programming and flashing.

Of course on an Android, I could just delete all Google Contacts and use a 3rd party contact app, which the radio wouldn't know about. You probably can also do that on the iPhone?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know how long the phone book is "held" for. But consider, most cell phone "phone books" are updated with new entries every week or day. So how can your car figure out what is new and what is obsolete? Simplest way to accomplish that, is to delete the phone book from the car's memory every time the ignition is off (or off for more than xx hours?) and then just download the latest phone book every time it is paired.

The alternative of trying to synchronize changes in the phone books would require more processor power and programming. AFAIK there's no way to 'remove' that feature, you are looking at firmware built into the radio and there's no way to change that, short of custom programming and flashing.

Of course on an Android, I could just delete all Google Contacts and use a 3rd party contact app, which the radio wouldn't know about. You probably can also do that on the iPhone?
If this is the case, then it's not a very smart system. Again I'm comparing to my old Lincoln, the contact list was downloaded when the phone is first paired and that's it. No need to update it every time as your core contact list does not evolve that much. (I never use the car directory anyways). the use case of updating every day is flimsy.

Last edited by MR MR; 11-04-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think most people get into their cars, start the engine (which needs time to warm up anyway. Not a lot, but typically 20 seconds.) then buckle up and settle in. check the mirrors, put something in the other seat, whatever. So unless you're waiting to make a call "immediately" the car should have a good half minute or minute to do housekeeping without it bothering *most* drivers. Heck, mine take time to read the USB drive, it can't even resume music play instantly.

Given the choice of loading a directory once, and never synching it? Or synching it on a regular basis by uploading it again? I'd have to vote the other way and say that never synching it was the dumber programming move. Ford has taken a nice lead in telematics but if I had to remember to update each new phonebook entry and manually start the sync in the car, that would be a bigger nuisance to me.

Almost as bad as trying to figure out how I can access the jumper cables if I have a dead battery, since they're stowed under the load floor and the liftgate only has power releases?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think most people get into their cars, start the engine (which needs time to warm up anyway. Not a lot, but typically 20 seconds.) then buckle up and settle in. check the mirrors, put something in the other seat, whatever. So unless you're waiting to make a call "immediately" the car should have a good half minute or minute to do housekeeping without it bothering *most* drivers. Heck, mine take time to read the USB drive, it can't even resume music play instantly.

Given the choice of loading a directory once, and never synching it? Or synching it on a regular basis by uploading it again? I'd have to vote the other way and say that never synching it was the dumber programming move. Ford has taken a nice lead in telematics but if I had to remember to update each new phonebook entry and manually start the sync in the car, that would be a bigger nuisance to me.

Almost as bad as trying to figure out how I can access the jumper cables if I have a dead battery, since they're stowed under the load floor and the liftgate only has power releases?

My 30+ seconds concern is about music streaming, not making a call.

When I start the car, I want the music to start right away, if Ford can get it right on a '08... why the heck is Audi lacking with a '14 with almost twice the price. (and lets not talk about the radio needing to "load" when the car is turned on... lolol loading FM!!)

If I want to call, I just chose the contact from the phone's touch screen, takes two seconds, way faster than the horrible MMI and its annoying **** and lack of touch screen... (Again my old Ford got it right with a touch screen!!) lol

Anyways to each his own, but I felt going a couple steps backward in those two department when I got the Audi.

I feel sometimes the need to rip that screen and put an iPad Mini in its place, that would be great!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't mind the delay. Some of it is for the disk to spin up and some I guess is polling any SD cards or devices plugged in via the AMI socket in the glove box to see what is there.

I note that if I stop for just a few minutes to fill up or similar that there is no delay.

Quick Reply: Audi MMI/Bluetooth