Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 reliability - better info - please sign up

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Close to 10 months and under 11 000km. The Q5 encounter it's first real issue.
Coolant leak. A huge leak somewhere coming from the right side of the engine bay. Top off the reservoir and watch the coolant level go down real fast. Look underneath and notice the rain fall.

Did some research and it maybe the water pump. Others had the same issue.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ed@mtl
Close to 10 months and under 11 000km. The Q5 encounter it's first real issue.
Coolant leak. A huge leak somewhere coming from the right side of the engine bay. Top off the reservoir and watch the coolant level go down real fast. Look underneath and notice the rain fall.

Did some research and it maybe the water pump. Others had the same issue.
Water pump issue here as well; close to 10k miles on the 2010 Q5.
Dealer fixed it and mentioned it was due to a bad vendor that provided the water pumps for Audi.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Day Laborer
Water pump issue here as well; close to 10k miles on the 2010 Q5.
Dealer fixed it and mentioned it was due to a bad vendor that provided the water pumps for Audi.
Interesting, I've heard that from Audi before. The coil packs on my 06 A4 were replaced under recall. I asked about them (I wasn't having any issue) and the dealer told me that the originals were provided by a bad vendor and they had a number of issues. Audi decided to take coil pack production in house and recall them all to the new audi coil packs.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also this month: updated reliability stats.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research
Old 02-06-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have an updated reliability stat for the Audi Q5 based on owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall.

With a reported repair rate of 85 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2009-2010 Q5 is now worse than average. The reason: water pump failures have become very common.

Thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the Q5, the percentage with no repairs is about 35 while the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 8.

Audi Q5 Lemon-odds and Nada-odds

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Audi Q5 reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mkaresh
We have an updated reliability stat for the Audi Q5 based on owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall.

With a reported repair rate of 85 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2009-2010 Q5 is now worse than average. The reason: water pump failures have become very common.

Thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the Q5, the percentage with no repairs is about 35 while the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 8.

Basically, outside of water pump failures, the Q5 is, for the most part, reliable.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have an updated reliability stat for the Audi Q5 based on owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2011: 83

2010: 100

2009: 126

All are worse than average. Failing water pumps are easily the most common problem.

Thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

In the case of the 2010 Q5, the percentage with no repairs is about 49 while the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 11.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BayGBM
They "like" them and give them high ratings because those cars have good reliability. I have owned Toyota, Honda, and German cars. The latter was, by far, more fun to drive but the former two were, by far, more reliable. It is not as if Consumer Report is the only ratings agency to document this disparity.
I currently have a Toyota SUV (until my Q5 arrives sometime around of this month), and the car is 3 years old (2008 model), and the only thing it's went into the shop for was a voluntary hose recall which they swapped out during a scheduled oil change! A+ for reliability!

But, the Toyota we have sucks hardcore in winter weather! Almost 270 hp in a light high-geared FWD isn't a good mix in the snow! Add that the seats are so terribly uncomfortable that I dread the thought of driving in for more than 15 minutes...front or rear! Not that I ride back there...but my 6ft tall teen complains about them!

I'm a little worried about giving up such awesome Toyota reliability, but being scared to drive in the winter and getting sciatica wasn't really working for me either!

There are always bugs in a new model, so I hope the 2011 Q5 have most of them ironed out!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
We have an updated reliability stat for the Audi Q5 based on owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2011: 83

2010: 100

2009: 126

All are worse than average. Failing water pumps are easily the most common problem.

Thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. The more owners participate, the better then information we can provide.

In the case of the 2010 Q5, the percentage with no repairs is about 49 while the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 11.

Question, if you remove the group just having water pump problems, how do the reliability stats change?

Bob
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There's no easy way to do this. But I think last time I looked about half of the reported repairs for the 2009 and 2010 were for the water pump. I'm not sure the 2011 has this problem at all. All reported repairs are posted to the site for those who want to go through them.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 reliability - better info - please sign up