Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Reveals Software Fix for 3.0-liter TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi Reveals Software Fix for 3.0-liter TDIs

Via Automotive News:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...oreUserAgent=1

Can't wait to see what it does to performance, fuel economy, and Adblue usage.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckardk
Via Automotive News:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...oreUserAgent=1

Can't wait to see what it does to performance, fuel economy, and Adblue usage.
I am not an engineer, and in no way qualified to offer any prediction. Having said that, I predict the big difference will be increased Ad Blue usage. We'll probably need to fill up on the deliciously named urea far more frequently -- to such a degree that refills will not line up so cleanly with regularly scheduled service.

I realize this may be wishful thinking. But BMW produces six cylinder diesel engines with comparable performance that are EPA compliant so it shouldn't, in theory, be impossible for Audi to do the same.

Last edited by Pratfall; 11-23-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you should be correct - I predict that Audi will provide free Ad Blue fill ups for the first 100,000 miles.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pratfall
I am not an engineer, and in no way qualified to offer any prediction. Having said that, I predict the big difference will be increased Ad Blue usage. We'll probably need to fill up on the deliciously named urea far more frequently -- to such a degree that refills will not line up so cleanly with regularly scheduled service.

I realize this may be wishful thinking. But BMW produces six cylinder diesel engines with comparable performance that are EPA compliant so it shouldn't, in theory, be impossible for Audi to do the same.
I can't see any BMW with torque numbers as high as the Audi 3.0L TDI sold in North America.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audible911
I can't see any BMW with torque numbers as high as the Audi 3.0L TDI sold in North America.
Their 255hp/413 torque so their up a bit on HP, down a bit on torque. I'd say it probably evens out but the X5 is heavier so the Q drives much better (IMO)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible911
I have an original 335d that has an engine that is rated to 265 horsepower and 435 ft/lbs of torque. In actuality, the horsepower is closer to 280. Are you really going to complain about 5 ft/lbs of torque?

For what it's worth though, my 2010 335d has not been anywhere near reliable in terms of emissions. The majority of my downtime events are due to emissions. The urea tank is being replaced right now, under warranty of course. (car has 72k miles). I've had multiple urea pump failures and the EGR causes carbon build up in my intake tract so the car needed a walnut blasting a few months ago.

The engine though is so amazing. the sequential turbos pull very hard in every RPM. It's very tough to compare the two engines of the audi and BMW. The biggest difference is the transmission. Both ZF units but the 335d has a 6 speed instead of 8 speed.

Now of course, you compare it to BMW's newer variable vane single turbo mill, I haven't driven that motor yet but I could imagine it's decent and more refined. It seems as if BMW has figured out the emissions problems. Keep in mind my 335 was a halo car for BMW as it was the first to have all of the emissions equipment.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seems like emissions cause big problems on everything.

^ Interesting info on your BMW emissions issues.

My last car was a 2006 Lexus GX 470. It was notorious for having the smog pump go out, taking down the whole vacuum system with it at a dealer cost of over $4k. It was located underneath the manifold, btw. :-/

Fortunately there was a $175 bypass workaround.

Thinking out loud, wondering how much of an environmental impact it is to make, change out, and dispose of these parts.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also had a 335d and loved the awesome powerband for every gear, every RPM!

Now that I have a X5 diesel that has a single turbo, it's not as energetic as the 335d....

The 335d was a problematic engine but the X5d has not been - it's been the least problem BMW I have ever owned!

Now that I am going to jump ship from BMW to Audi, I was kicking the tires on various Audi, Porsche, and VW when the debacle arose...

I have to wait for I don't know how long for this to blow over....
Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
I also had a 335d and loved the awesome powerband for every gear, every RPM!

Now that I have a X5 diesel that has a single turbo, it's not as energetic as the 335d....

The 335d was a problematic engine but the X5d has not been - it's been the least problem BMW I have ever owned!
Was your 335d engine really problematic? Or was it like I said the emission control devices that caused the issues? The only engine issue I've had was injectors requiring replacement. Misfire codes and I think that was an injector issue because that hasn't come back at all. The other SES was glow plug module. Every other failure has been due to the emissions.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, the 335d was more emissions systems issues such as the EGR, SCR, metering & tank replacements.

Quick Reply: Audi Reveals Software Fix for 3.0-liter TDIs