Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi SQ5 vs modified 3.0 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
The SQ5 has a reinforced engine block and thicker crankshaft.
I believe there are substantially more engine parts which also differentiate the SQ from the 3.0T. I remember when we got our 3.0T, I was excited, figuring we could (down the line) tune it to approximate the SQ. But, not really. At least not reliably, considering the many more substantial parts the SQ gets.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

The SQ5 has a reinforced engine block and thicker crankshaft.
Catalog says otherwise: that are the same parts

Engine Code: CTUD (354HP), CTXA (354HP), CTUC (272HP), CTVA (272HP)

Last edited by spijun; 09-28-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe they reinforce the block externally at assembly. Everything I've read says the block is stiffer. For example, from an article in Motor Authority

Fundamentally, the 3.0-liter supercharged V-6 follows the same design as that in the Q5 3.0T. Yet in case you're wondering, you can't simply 'chip' a Q5 3.0T and arrive at an SQ5; there are plenty of serious upgrades in the SQ5. Compared to the existing supercharged V-6 of the same displacement in Q5 3.0T models, the engine in the SQ5 has a stronger crank, stiffer block, and different intake and exhaust manifolds. Brakes have been upgraded—both with bigger rotors and calipers and with a stronger brake booster—and engine cooling capacity has been raised. To work with that, there's a larger front end, for more airflow under the hood (that, plus wider tires actually make its coefficient of drag a bit higher).

Originally Posted by spijun
Catalog says otherwise: that are the same parts

Engine Code: CTUD (354HP), CTXA (354HP), CTUC (272HP), CTVA (272HP)

Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

At a base price of $51,900, the SQ5 is a little over $3,000 more than the equivalent Q5. Why the premium? To start, there’s the engine. Essentially this is an S4/S5 spec 3.0 TFSI and as such benefits from an uprated crankshaft, bearings and stiffened engine block. The SQ5 also gets a new sport exhaust from manifold to valved pipes at the back, not to mention increased cooling capacity that allowed engineers to up boost and thus up power beyond that of the S4 and S5. Even still, the SQ5 retains the Q5’s class-leading towing capacity of 4400 lbs.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No one seems to have been able to prove the SQ5 engine is any different than 3.0T, despite audi vaguely leading the media to believe they're different. What the SQ5 does have over the 3.0T is quite a lot, but you also pay about $8k for it. I think it's well worth it:

-much nicer interior: upgraded steering wheel, leather, trim options, and gauge cluster
-better front brakes
-sports suspension (although no adjustable dampers)
-factory OEM engine tune with warranty is more powerful than aftermarket stage 1 tune for 3.0T
-Tuned sport transmission similar to a DCT/DSG.
-nice exhaust for OEM including quad tips that make more noise than average
-improved engine/induction noise (fake, but sounds authentic and nice, and can be turned off)
-exterior looks enhancements
-upgraded wheels
-more exclusive

If we negate the engine power and tunability issue, comparing a family member of mine who has a Q5 3.0T S-line, my SQ5 looks much more upscale inside and out.

Originally Posted by snig
At a base price of $51,900, the SQ5 is a little over $3,000 more than the equivalent Q5.
I honestly see about an $8-10k difference. A Q5 3.0T PP is about $52k with options. An equivalent SQ5 is $60k. Base price to base price they are $44,900 vs $52,700.

Last edited by Transfer; 09-28-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe they reinforce the block externally at assembly. Everything I've read says the block is stiffer. For example, from an article in Motor Authority

Fundamentally, the 3.0-liter supercharged V-6 follows the same design as that in the Q5 3.0T. Yet in case you're wondering, you can't simply 'chip' a Q5 3.0T and arrive at an SQ5; there are plenty of serious upgrades in the SQ5. Compared to the existing supercharged V-6 of the same displacement in Q5 3.0T models, the engine in the SQ5 has a stronger crank, stiffer block, and different intake and exhaust manifolds. Brakes have been upgraded—both with bigger rotors and calipers and with a stronger brake booster—and engine cooling capacity has been raised. To work with that, there's a larger front end, for more airflow under the hood (that, plus wider tires actually make its coefficient of drag a bit higher).
You believe what says Motor Authority. I believe what says Audi catalog, they are relevant to me

I wrote that the engine is the same.

And the compressor is the same on the SQ5 and Q5

Of course there are differences such on SQ5 has an extra radiator ,different absorbers but the engine is the same.

Good luck

Additional cooler

Compressor

Last edited by spijun; 09-28-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
No one seems to have been able to prove the SQ5 engine is any different than 3.0T, despite audi vaguely leading the media to believe they're different. What the SQ5 does have over the 3.0T is quite a lot, but you also pay about $8k for it. I think it's well worth it:

-much nicer interior: upgraded steering wheel, leather, trim options, and gauge cluster
-better front brakes
-sports suspension (although no adjustable dampers)
-factory OEM engine tune with warranty is more powerful than aftermarket stage 1 tune for 3.0T
-Tuned sport transmission similar to a DCT/DSG.
-nice exhaust for OEM including quad tips that make more noise than average
-improved engine/induction noise (fake, but sounds authentic and nice, and can be turned off)
-exterior looks enhancements
-upgraded wheels
-more exclusive

If we negate the engine power and tunability issue, comparing a family member of mine who has a Q5 3.0T S-line, my SQ5 looks much more upscale inside and out.

I honestly see about an $8-10k difference. A Q5 3.0T PP is about $52k with options. An equivalent SQ5 is $60k. Base price to base price they are $44,900 vs $52,700.
Quoted the Audizine article/first drive.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not saying the blocks are different. Your catalog cut sheets show that. What I'm suggesting is that reinforcing gussets or plates may be installed at a higher assembly level...along with a slightly smaller pulley on the supercharger.
I think you are suggesting that the finished engine is the same for the Q5 and the SQ5 with the only difference being the tune. Does the catalog you keep referring to show the next higher assemblies?

You believe what says Motor Authority. I believe what says Audi catalog, they are relevant to me

I wrote that the engine is the same.

And the compressor is the same on the SQ5 and Q5

Of course there are differences such on SQ5 has an extra radiator ,different absorbers but the engine is the same.

Good luck

Additional cooler

Compressor
Old 09-28-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not saying the blocks are different. Your catalog cut sheets show that. What I'm suggesting is that reinforcing gussets or plates may be installed at a higher assembly level...along with a slightly smaller pulley on the supercharger.
I think you are suggesting that the finished engine is the same for the Q5 and the SQ5 with the only difference being the tune. Does the catalog you keep referring to show the next higher assemblies?
If you think whole engine, it does not exist. Here's proof that the crankshaft the same for all models, you wrote that different
Ample evidence of the same engine but you do not want to accept
I think it's enough, end for me

Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Totally different

SQ5

Q5

BREMBO MODEL 1LP

TRW GIRLNIG MODEL 1LJ

Hello Spijun,
Quick question. The options sticker on my 2013 3.0T P+ has different codes for the brakes than what you are showing. Front - 1LE and the rear - 2EL. I haven't had them apart but the fronts look like a dual piston, is this correct for 1LE?
Here's a pic of the front
Thanks,

Quick Reply: Audi SQ5 vs modified 3.0 Q5